I currently have a checking account at Caja Madrid. When I opened it over a year ago, they didn't ask for any documents other than my residence card and my passport.

Yesterday, I went to open a personal checking and savings account and aside from my residence card and passport, they wanted to see a work contract.

I work from home on the internet and get paid from American companies so I don't have a work contract.

They made me go home and get my apartment rental contract then said they have to do that US personal background check and to supply them with income information from these American companies that pay me (Google and other affiliate programs).

So, I went home and returned with my rental contract and emailed her a couple of screen shots from Google and another company that pays me monthly.

Today, she emails me and says the account is opened, BUT I have to supply them with tax documents from the last few years.

What the f*$%?!!! What is this? Is this normal? This didn't happen with Caja Madrid.

I've never had so much hassle in opening a checking account.

Does anyone know where else I can go to open a checking and savings account with JUST an NIE number(residence card) and or my passport (and no extra documentation)?

Thanks