The purpose of this information is to help tourists from having their wallet or passport taken while in Madrid or any other city such as New York. My wife and I were in Madrid for 3 weeks in May & June and we always felt safe.

This incident tells how quickly you can become a crime victim. It was raining on my last Saturday afternoon in Madrid. I was walking on the Gran Via near Calle de Alcala with my umbrella up. Along with about 20 persons I was waiting for the traffic signal to change and cross the Gran Via. I was at the rear of the group when my umbrella was hit by someone behind me. I assume it was an accident and moved forward. Then it happened again. I looked and saw a young man very close to my face. I then quickly turned around and saw 2 young women very close behind me. When I looked at them, the man and women turned around and walked quickly back-up the Gran Via. Their method of operation was for the man to distract me while the women took my property without my knowledge.

Why did I become their target?
First, I walked out of a hotel on the Gran Via one block from the incident. Was I followed?
Second, I had my "man-bag" (containing nothing of value except for a cheap camera) over my right shoulder and towards the rear of my hip with the zipper half opened. I forgot to close the zipper when I took out my umbrella. My rear left back pocket was not secured but had some papers inside that the thieves may have believed was my wallet. However, my wallet was in my right front pants pocket with a baseball type hat also inside the same pocket to prevent the wallet from falling out or being taken by a thief.

After almost 3 weeks in Madrid, I was lax for not closing my man-bag zipper and having it in front of me rather than behind me.

Enjoy Madrid but be alert for thieves. They are in all cities throughout the world.