Times Square Car Bomb

On May 1, at 4:00 pm, on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in New York City, I walked through Times Square. The streets were busy with many people, vendors, street performers, scam artist, cars and a number of street criminals. The tour buses were filled with people probably from all-over the world and USA.

Some tourists and New Yorkers were seated in the plazas enjoying their McDonalds or Starbucks, typical American food and beverages (hehehe). I purchased an a Starbucks, went to Bryant Park on 42nd Street to relax, and left at 5:30 pm to meet my wife for dinner.

The car bomb incident started later that evening and the police had closed Times Square. Since my first career was with the police in the city, I continued to monitor the sitution on television and radio. I woke-up several times during the night to hear the progress of the incident. The news media reported at 8:00 am that Times Square was opened again. On Sunday morning I decided to return to Times Square sometimes referred to as the Crossroads of the World. I assumed that Times Square would be quite since the people would probably be frighted because of the car bomb incident. After taking the train to Times Square I noticed the streets were filled with tourists, New Yorkers, and tour buses. It reminded me after 9/11. The people were not going to let the terrorists scare them away from Times Square. Many of the tourists and New Yorkers were taking pictures of police officers, police cars, fire trucks, and ambulances. Some young ladies were taking pictures with five US Marines in their dress uniforms who were touring New York City. The terrorist had not yet been arrested by the FBI but the people were not going to let that deter them from enjoying themselves the morning after a potentially deadly terrorist attack on New York City.