Thanks for asking. I'm happy to answer.

Yes I have family there(sort of). I first went to Spain when I was 15 with my parents and other family members. I had an uncle, by marriage, in the air force stationed in Madrid so we stayed with him and his family on the base.

Twenty some years later, my wife had been "pestering" me about a "real vacation" for a very long time. I noticed that a band I love was playing in Barcelona so I said, "How bout going to Spain?" That was the beginning of it all. On that first trip we did Madrid-Valencia-Barcelona then back to Madrid, all by train.

We didn't know what we were doing! We booked 7 days and only had reservations for our first night in Madrid at the Petit Palace Londres. We played the rest by ear which made things very interesting but fun. It was low season in February so getting rooms was easy but we looked ridiculous dragging our HUGE suitcases around town without knowing where we were going. It was a great experience but I wouldn't do it that way again. Plus, I'm too old for that nonsense. These days we travel with one carry-on each. The wife even has her own curling iron from Spain so she doesn't have to worry about a converter.

That uncle of mine is still in Madrid but now, working with his Spanish wife at the U.S. Embassy. We try to spend 2 or 3 days with him when we're there. We've also since met a few lovely gentlemen from the MM board who have enriched our stays. My wife is determined to retire to Spain someday. I won't complain. Since 2003 we've been 5 times. Looking forward to number 6! We Love It! INEEDSPAIN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMm849e0AQ

Edited by MadridMan (04/22/10 08:09 PM)
Edit Reason: To embed the YouTube "I Need Spain" video.