Madrid people are certainly not reserved when they´re out and about . They seriously like to , and feel it´s their god-given right to PARTY . But in terms of business thay have some way to go . And even small things like : I´ve been brought up to hold the door open for a lady , or somebody elderley etc... In the UK i always get a "thank you" .. Here in Madrid .. almost never .
Recently , I went to buy a digital SLR camera .. 650 Euros on average .. I went into the main store here in Madrid and quite frankly they couldn´t be bothered talking to me ( And I had a Basque friend with me ) .. And they had zero idea of the product . I ended up buying it for the same price in a local , independent store .
Madrileños can seem a bit rude ( against other European nations perceptions ) But once you get under their skin you´ll find they´re fantastic people with a real joy and zest for life .
In terms o business and bureaucracy it a whole case of the "mañana" thing ... Things will be done eventually but don´t expect it to be done on time jejejejejeje .