Here are some of my favorites (oh, and I am a stand up and snack person, not sit down dinner) in this neighborhood in no particular order:

On C/Echegaray

La Caserola- great place to drop in for a caña. They always have a tasty free tapa and the 2 men behind the bar are characters. Also, they have a really good menu del dia. Creamed spinach and grilled fish for like 8 eur.

La Venencia- need I say more from the Hostal Bianco post?

On C/Manuel Fernández y González

La Toscana- don't miss the man that cuts the tomatoes for the house salad. He is one of a kind. They make great morcillo AND morcilla. And, I think their albondigas en salsa are the best in town.

La Lacon- again, funny bartender that will flirt with every girl in the place. Most of their free tapas change every night but always have callos which are excellent.
Right across the street there is a bar (can't remember the name) that we had a few beers in. Friendly, good snacks, good tortilla.

La Trucha- I think the branch on this street has better food, but the other one has more personable staff. We had a pincho moruno, smoked salmon to die for, really thin crispy fried eggplant, and we didn't get a chance to order the salmonete fish but it looked really good.

On C/Ventura de la Vega

La Puebla- OK, I did actually sit down here. They have 3 different menu del dias to choose from and they are all pretty extensive. I think we ate from the least expensive one. Starters were salmorejo and scrambeled eggs with spring garlic shoots, and we each had a whole fish ala plancha for an entree (lubina and dorado) Everything was great. For dessert they make a baked apple that is really good. If they have gallo (fish) try that. They were out the day I was there.

OK, that's all for now. I will try to add more as I can but I think my boss would like me to get to work and stop daydreaming about my vacation!!!

Edited by MadridMan (05/28/09 03:36 AM)
Edit Reason: included city indicator