I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are hotels and hostals, but for me, Hostal Acapulco and Javier just can't be beat. The hostal is well located near Puerta del Sol and Gran Via, in a very quiet(double-paned windows), safe and convenient location. The rooms are excellent, with small balconies overlooking the small Plaza del Carmen. The only minor area of complaint was the very small bathroom, difficult for 2 people to use at one time, but we managed. As for Javier, all I can say is WHAT A GUY. He's a very hands-on manager, spending lots of time talking with guests, and even taking us across the street to a small restaurant where they served a really great meal, for only 7 euros, including salad, entree, small bottle of wine and dessert. I tried to order a second bottle and pay for it, but no, they included it in the price. We checked out on a Monday morning, and hadn't been able to buy stamps on Sunday, so Javier said he would get stamps the next day and mail our cards, which arrived in a few days. All in all, a nice place to stay in Madrid, and all for 52 euros.