Gazpacho:
No, no, it is YOU who is wrong.
I can understand your view, no matter how much I disagree. Along the debate, you have been able to admit, at times, that the other side may be partially right. You even said that the invasion of Panama was not exactly a good idea!! That means, in my opinion, that you hold your views according to rational standards, instead of prejudice. And thank God, you are not self-righteous at all.
I don`t expect to convince anyone, I don`t want the yanks to say "blame on us, woe to the US, please forgive us". That would be ridiculours. I just expect the other side to admit that my beliefs are not based upon my endless jealousy of your glory, or my [ha, ha] far-left ideas. If you check it, you will see that much hate on Europe, mainly on Germany and France, has been spilled in the thread. Not only America is being bashed...
Really, I don`t feel much proud of Spain. I think we Asturians have been linked to the history of this Castilian empire mainly because our upper class, here in Oviedo, was too lazy and too stupid to build something on their own, and therefore have spent centuries admiring anything that came from Madrid, and scorning anything from the homeland. Spain worked in the same way as the US, only that WORSE, when they had the chance. There is not the slightest moral superiority in Madrid to point at Washington.
When Spain was in the middle of their own colonial wars, in Cuba or Morocco, there wasn`t any courageous voice such as Mr. Twain`s one, to shout the awkward truth: only patriotical speeches.
There have been many leftist Spanish filmakers, all of them stuffed with political correctness; but none of them ever managed to make such a devastating film as "Paths of Glory" against any war. Nor "Apocalypse Now". I think people like Mark Twain, or Mr. Kubrick, are the real glory of America.
And of course, I spit at Izquierda Unida, PSOE and most of the "peace activists" which have been lately triying to get profit in Spain out of the war. I am sure most of them don`t even know what are they talking about.