Wolf,

Now that was a good post! You are (and should be) very proud of your post-Vietnam accomplishments and are rightfully bitter about the anti-war protesters of yesteryear for your return experience.

Genocide is one of the few cases where war is a necessity. I agree with you 100% there. Certainly there is no "statute of limitations" on the crimes of genocidal activity, but as mentioned - there was successful "containment." There are other genocidal wars going on in the world...and a double-standard exists since the U.S. has paid little or no attention to them. If that were the U.S.'s true motive, since Iraq was contained, it would have gone elsewhere. As sad as it is and as much as I'd like to see such activity erased from the planet forever, I don't think war will always solve this problem. And again...was that really the U.S. motive here? And the perception was that it was not - which is what is unfortunate - but perhaps justified - considering the administrations inconsistencies leading up to this event.

While the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is a different situation, the cycle of violence that continues there illustrates where I come from. I do not define the constant threat of retailiation as freedom or peace - and I do not want the U.S. to fall into the same cyclical trap that Israel is in. I certainly don't claim to have a solution for that part of the world (everyone has tried in vain at this point), but war does not send any message to a foe with conviction except "get ready to fight." If anything, it could have the unintended affect of strengthening U.S. foe's conviction against the U.S. It's quite likely they now feel the need to fight is that much more urgent to the success of their cause. The Arab world fears the U.S. as much as the U.S. fears the Arab world. And there seems to be a lack of dialogue and understanding between peoples and governments...we need bridges of communication to work out our differences.

U.N. involvement with rebuilding is a slippery one. I see your argument - that we sacrificed and took the action so we should benefit from the rebuild. That's a "fair" assessment at face value. But consider this: the efforts to stop terrorism will never succeed if European and Arab friends do not help. It's safe to say they currently feel alienated. So from that perspective, and considering the U.N. wrangling leading up to this point, the U.S. should include them as a "good faith" and healing jesture.

Peace!