aurorajinx, you're in Madrid now. Good for you!

You wrote:
Quote:
In fact, most of it has been rude and offhand even when I´ve taken extra steps to be super super polite.
THAT might be the problem. Being SUPER SUPER POLITE is not only inauthentic but they can see right through it and may hold it against you. Your being polite does not necessarily evoke a reciprocal polite reaction in many other parts of the world.

I don't think the % of tip has ANYTHING to do with the courteousness of the wait-staff. First, "courteousness" is relative and definitely cultural. What's courteous to you might be downright over-the-top to a Spaniard. What's courteous to them might be something very very different. There's a long thread here somewhere about Spaniards being rude - at least compared to United Statesens. Again, it's not that Spaniards are RUDE it's just that they're different from US. To another Spaniard, they're not being rude at all.

So now, I don't think waiters would be more (relatively) courteous if they got more in tips. I want them to be themselves and not have to change their culture in order to please tourists. I've heard from so many Spaniards about how United Statesens walk around and interact with others with a falsely happy, painted on smile on their faces. This is an interesting observation and one we should think about.

Well anyway, back to the topic about tipping the chamber maid. Sure! Do it! But probably not more than 1 Euro per night. If you happen to see them coming down the hall as you check out, you can even hand it to them directly and give them an AUTHENTIC smile and a "Gracias por todo" and I'm sure they'll smile back and thank YOU.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog