Strange issue, and a strange time indeed this is
I agree totally that it is a mistake to illegalize Batasuna. The new law is good only to reduce free speech all over the kingdom of Spain and encourage more stupid Basque patriotic brats to join ETA "due to the opression that our nation is suffering". The PP obviously has many fascist trends, and enjoys giving propaganda to the people instead of intelligent decisions. That as much as the Spanish government is concerned.
But the PNV is not much better. Now they want to start a process of independence. Great, but...Is that really the first priority in their country? Really? The idea that Basques support the 1978 Constitution, only that are being opressed by evil nationalists, is just Spanish propaganda, but... Shouldn`t the Basque government worry about more close problems, rather than "Freedom for the nation"? Basque society is divided, and apparently the PNV has not made much to fill the gap between the nationalist majority and the constitutionalist minority. They seem more worried to teach kids at school the way Spain (supposedly) invaded and destroyed their country, rather than respect their Spanish-Basque neighbours.
Basque nationalist claim that their liberty as a nation is under the opression of Spain. They feel "unconfortable" being part of the Kingdom. But what comes first? Their collective right to decide about being independent, or the individual rights that nationalist biggots threat everywhere in Euskadi, burning bookshops, threatening, blackmailng, or killing people? If I were Basque, and wanted independence (and there are very good reasons to make that choice), I would feel ashamed to ask for it, as long as my political rivals felt scared to express their disagreement.