You are right about the EU helping Spain. My point, is post EU. As the markets of Latin America increase (remember, since NAFTA, America's exports to Mexico have skyrocketed)the EU's leading companies' countries will have to look for more markets using cheap educated labor. At this time, the wages in Spain are one of the lowest in the EU. Once eastward expansion takes place these new eastern unionless workers will provide the EU cheapest labor that Germany and France need. Germany, in the next few years, needs about 50,000 new workers. Unless educated Spanish workers immigrate into Germany at a very high rate, the next best cheapest route is to set up factories in the east. With the amount of German and French companies presently raising Spains GNP through investment, it seems that EU expansion to the east could really hurt Spain. (not to mention the EU subsidies) I know the Aznar administration has pushed Germany to slow down expansion, but the economic reality is for the EU to get a couple more years of life against the Americas, eastern expansion, federalization of the EU, and a new EU tax have to be in the plans. From what I've read in the EU news, these "political balloons" have been floating for awhile to gear up the EU public to their eventuality.
My underlying cause in these points, is a Spanish relationship with the United States outside of the confines of the EU, would benefit both countries' futures (and the worlds)tremendously. Imagine the Spanish born companies that would gain advantage to an incredible amount of markets throughout the Americas. For example we would love to be drinking better Rioja over here than that over-priced French stuff. But this is only the beginning. All of those talented Spanish engineers would invent and construct new Spanish products that we all over here would be eager to buy. Politically, you would hold the key to the Spanish language and be inolved in every step of the AFTA expansion on an equal level. You have to admit that this a very timely and HUGE opportunity for Spain in the worlds' history. I hope that all of the elite running Spain see this historic opportunity, my optimistic beliefs say they do. It's our destiny.