Toddy:

- In Spain there are thousands of positions for public teachers, however, it is true that we form a lot more than we need. This is the result of a good cheap public University. Everybody can study. the bad about it is that no country needs such a high percentege of graduates.

I would say that 9 cars out of ten are spanish, since they are produced here - we are the 10th world producer of cars, and we export cars to many countries. Ford, Opel, Renault, Volkswagen, Audi, ...
The rest are Korean, Japanese and Americans.

Spain does not rely on foreign companies to provide work. When these companies came here, they usually did not create factories in the fields, but rather bought, because they thought it was an interesting investment for them, existing firms and factories. However, I can not see the point in discussing this matter since each day a little bit more, no matter the bad moments, like this one, the EC is more like a Country itself. If you went to France, you could see german, british, italian firms making bussiness and creating employment there, also a tiny presence of spanish, like Zara, Mango, Endesa (soon). It is like if you said that Washington (State) needs investments from New York to create employment. Money is free to come and go, and it goes where it obtains more profit.

You cannot rely on statistics to measure employment. You should be here and see who is unemployed aound you, and how the prices of apartments grow (because people has money,through work), or see your friends being "unemployed" and working.

I do not have antiamerican feelings, nor I think my people have nowadays, but one that is different to artificially trying to improve them basing it in supposed gifts given or leaders love for each other (having met very few times).
I think the USA are a great country no matter that I see things I don't like at all, like I see others in Spain.

Spaniards do not have to leave Spain to have a work , they have to, to have a work according with their goals. We are ambitious, our parents help us to go to the University, for they want us to be better and richer, so, there are engineers earning 1.000 $ a month, who could easily earn 2.000 i. e. reapairing or installing air conditioning or heatings, but they want (it is their choice, and I respect it) to work as engineers.

I have friends who have their degree as teachers and work as postmen. It is not a defect of the system ,since we have a lot of teachers working, but it is like a luxury (I don't know if we will be able to afford much longer) that everybody can study what they want (it's unexpensive), no matter that the markets don't demand it. There is a system called "oposición", an exam, where only the very best are accepted for public teaching. But still they can have another work.

I know it is very differnt in the USA, for there it is so difficult to pay for the Univ. that the few graduates have always a work (no matter if they are good or just average) according with their studies.

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]