I am spanish, and have met several USA citicens, and visited that country three times, so I have an idea too of how we see them an d wether it is fair or not.

The fact that the USA have become the greatest power in economy and armies, and that people want to reach it, to improve their live conditions does not have anything to do with the fact that, as a country, they are not interested in anybody's opinion on the way they face matters that affect everyone.

I know that many individuals do not behave the same way.

However, I can still recall when I was to New York, and my North American friend didn't approve that we were so 'old-fashioned' not to use dollars. I happened to complain that dollars are all the same size and green, and so, they were difficult to identify (remember he thought it should be the world's currency - subject to the USA Federal Reserve control), he said "we do not have that problem", which showed his small village attitude - but he was born in Atlanta.

Or when another friend in Chicago felt offended because I said that people were overtaking through the right, and that was dangerous. In the end the conclusion was
"We do it this way". It was obvious it did not mean anythig to him that traffic rules are worldwide. And he is really open minded for most things.

We consider the USA the neighbour that litters more in our alley, and the one who wants to do less about it. I think they have some strong prejudice against group decissions owed to their love to individuality.

However, I have to agree to a couple of things with those defending the USA position:

We have had time to ratify Kyoto and didn't. I don't think it takes so much time (maybe in Spain, but not in all the CE countries).

The reason is that the first ones that sign it will incur in costs that may make them less competitive than others who don't.

We are destructing the World, and we are beginning to suffer it now. Look at the skin deseases, cancer, an virus boosting statistics, caused by the mierda (sorry) we eat, drink, breath, and the increasing radiations we receive, but it is a matter that all of the countries have to sign, at least the most powerful, bigger in population, and those who are going to pollute a lot more whe they develope - Imagine 1.000 chinese or indian people with a car.

I can not blame the USA alone.

By the way, the society has invented prisons to defend itself from those elements who intend to destroy it. I think Death Penalty is right when danger is threatening enough. I would not support it now in Europe, but maybe I wouild in some States in the USA or other areas, where people sometimes fear for their lifes even at home. Honest people have their right to defende themselves.

But I don't like their legal system that only works with people who has a lot of money, just like us, but for the fact that here a little bit less moneey is needed.

Here is my sweet&sour. laugh
Kisses cool
Ignacio

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]