ilovemadrid/Jo-Anne....

I knew that I wanted a "concert quality" flamenco guitar.. I wasn't sure if I wanted the "negra style" or traditional(I bought traditional; just under $1,000us with hard case)... I found that the guitars in Madrid were substantially more expensive; even the used ones that had been traded in were overpriced... you can get a flamenco for $150us(student model) or you can pay several thousand depending on your will power.. in Madrid there seems to be at least five guitar makers just off Calle Major near Del Sol... offering high quality guitars... if you want a student guitar most any music store can help... I like the music store across the street from the Palicio(don't remember the name but it is right on the corner and has a wide selection) going back toward Del Sol you will find Rodriquez and Ramirez two very expensive makers(with very high credentials)I walked all around this area, between the Palace and Del Sol, and found 5-6 makers... you need to decide your budget and don't buy the first guitar you see.. my next trip will be to buy a concert quality classical from a maker in the Granada area(I have this thing about nice guitars) for fun do a web search on "Guitar Makers in Spain" the listings are extensive with great photos...but limited mostly to high end guitars... you can buy a hard plastic case to bring your guitar home in for about $60us or take one with you... we flew Delta and I carried my guitar home... if you ship from Spain it will cost at least $200us to do it by UPS...carry-on is the way to go...I am sure with a little effort the music stores would be able to find used guitars for you...