A lucky event:

Walking around the streets of Madrid I chanced upon noticing a small poster advertising a concert, the name and face struck me immediately. It was Amaral probably still yet a relatively unknown singer but becoming, I think, more and more popular.

I first happened on seeing Amaral en Spanish T.V.E a programme called Séptimo de caballería (7th cavalry) hosted by José Bosé a famous half Spanish and Italian singer/host, at least the fact that he is la mitad (1/2) is what I understood him to mean when he was interviewing Madona. He later went on to invite Madona out to a Flamingo show in Madrid, he did this whilst lying prostrate on the floor telling her that he loved her.

Anyway, at the time, probably to the best of my recollection a year ago, Amaral was introduced as an up-and-coming new Spanish singer. Well, the fact is that I was taken with her style, delivery and song, titled
Voy a acabar contigo (I am going to finish with you).

Well the fact was that Amaral was being advertised as appearing in Madrid over the next two nights in a place called the Chesterfield Café.

On making my return to my hotel I looked on my what was by now a somewhat dying map and asked the chap on the desk where on the Calle Serrano Jover I should seek out the Café. I was informed that it wasn’t the calle jover but joven.

Fingers don’t do what eyes and brain tells them to do!

Lucky information for me since I would have been at completely the opposite side of the area that I wanted.

Anyway, later in the night, after I might add having taken on board some considerably cheaper ale than that usually afforded to me in entertainment venues: circa 1000pts. Also I was careful to adjust my intake accordingly with expectations (was it Oscar Wild who said: “expectations have a lot to answer for”) of a good night and thus prevented the ale from readjusting my vision too much.

Anyway, I took advantage of a taxi ride to the Chesterfield. About 500pts with tip.

I duly arrived and came across some visitors from Skipton in Yorkshire (Central/ North East England), a nice market town. They had arrived like me by way of EasyJet from Liverpool. They told me that they were staying next door. A place I went into, for a good looking at, on leaving the Café. Its big five or was it four stars. I asked for a brochure. My impression was that it was probably too big and expensive although undoubtedly ideally situated for the Café.

The Chesterfield is set, principally on two levels, with a bar on the pavement level and a bar and meal area below, also with a wrap around standing area for the people taking advantage of the entertainment but having chosen not to eat.

I took-up a position as close as I could get to the stage, yes of course with cerveza close by. An amusing thing struck me in that there was no entrance fee or indeed, as far as I could tell, any requirement to take a drink. Really strange stuff. I don’t know how they make these events pay for themselves. In England free entrance to a concert is not the norm but also is not unknown. In any case the proprietors would expect to make a lot from the amount consumed. The Spanish, as far as I can tell, are very conservative drinkers.

Don’t expect to make much in the way of drinks sold if you set-up a bar with entertainment.

Amaral duly appeared on stage complete with backing group.

I was not disappointed.
From now I will be like a moth to light, when in Madrid, heading to the Chesterfield Café for the live entertainment.

[This message has been edited by steveaqui (edited 10-26-2000).]