Replay, Nativo, and Fernando:

This is my second and last message inthis thread on this matter, so you will have to forgive me if I don't answer any more replies, but I simply do not dare to risk myself to express any more opinions in this matter. Probably I will be being investigated by now because of not saying ETA is the devil/a group of pigs/mafia, ..., et al.

The Basque Country problem is a political one, should be solved through negotiation, just like the Irish, although it has a slightly different origin. People who are basque nationalists may not agree to violence, but they can not blame their fellows for losing their patience, after waiting for twenty years of democracy to be given their rights (besides of the 40 Franco's years).

As you probably know, the basque country is a small area, with no rainforests and few mountain ranges to create a guerrilla, so some people think that terrorism is the only possible kind of war. For them, this is a war. In wars there are victims, some dead, some prisoners, some handicapped. It is a pity.

I can still remember PSOE party calling urban guerrilla to left winged 'terrorists? in Central America. For each person and situation, the line between urban guerrilla and terrorism moves one side or other.

Nativo: The origins of ETA have nothing to do with mafia, that is obvious for anybody who knows the history of it. It comes from PNV fighters against Franco, a political party, long time ago.

Replay: I didn't ever defend ETA in this forum, nor I will now. About the madness and stupidity of its actions, many times we think an action has no sense when we can't or don't want to see the sense of it.

Batasuna can not be in Jail since it is an organization. As for if it is forbidden, it has only months of age. But its antecessors have been fair or unfairly forbidden ( Euskal Herritarrok, Herri Batasuna). I think forbidding people to express themselves through a democratic party is no good.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]