I am meeting up with a tour group in Madrid in November and have decided to arrive a day early to rest up before the big trip. I have never been to Europe before and have never travelled outside of the country by myself and while I'm very excited about my trip, frankly I'm a bit nervous about going it alone - even though it's just for one evening. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a hotel I could stay at for the night that's central to all the good shopping, restaurants, sites, etc., is reasonably priced and is also safe and not near too many bars. The next night I'll be staying at the same hotel as the tour group - the Hotel AC Aravaca , which is on N-VI highway next to the "Casa de Campo" and just opposite the Zarzuela Clinic. Since we're leaving for Toledo the next morning, I get the impression that this hotel is not very central.

One other thing - I do not speak Spanish, so anywhere that's considered American-friendly would also be appreciated. One person did suggest the Hotel Suecia - does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!