In the spirit of giving back to this board, I thought I would give a run-down of the hotels that we (my wife and I) stayed in during our recent two-week trip to Spain.

First, we spent two nights in Madrid at the well-known Hotel Suecia . Very nicely appointed and it is difficult to beat the location. Of course, it all comes at a price (132 euros a night to be precise), and I would recommend checking into the bancotel system that others have referred to in their posts if the budget is tight.

We then went to Sevilla and spent 6 nights there. The first two nights were at the excellent La Casa del Maestro . I found it via www.Innsofspain.com and it really was beautiful, quiet and very helpful staff. Again, the rooms are a bit pricy (I believe 130 euros for a double) It is located near Santa Catalina and so within easy walking distance of the tourist areas, as well as Calle Sierpes and Macarena. Bar Peregil is very interesting and around the corner. Back to the lodging. The remaining four nights in Sevilla were spent at Hotel Abanico , a three star Hotel on Calle Aguilas. A word of warning - never, under any circumstances, accept the keys to room 108, which overlooks the very busy street (and I assume 208 or 308 would be just as bad) as the noise was truly unbearable. I complained immediately to the registrar and she was very helpful in putting us in a "habitacion tranquila" for the rest of our stay. It made all the difference. The rooms were 100 euros for a double each night.

The third leg of our trip was to Granada, and we splurged on a night at the Parador at La Alhambra . Magnificent. The air is fresh and the staff impeccable. We dropped 600 euros on the stay, three meals, guided tour of the Alhambra and at the gift shop. The room was one third of that total. The hotel is spectacular and the food was the best we ate in Spain, but two nights there would have shortchanged our visit to Granada, I feel, in that its isolation does not allow one to get out and see the city. The second night we moved to the well-reviewed Hotel Macia on the Plaza Nueva. For my money (60 euros) it was much more enjoyable and close to the action. I just felt like a fish out of water at the Parador.

Then, back to Madrid, and we stayed at the Hospedaje Madrid , a hostel on Calle Esparteros, a short walk from Puerta del Sol. Our room overlooked the main thoroughfare to the Plaza Mayor, and so it was a bit noisy, but the street is limited to pedestrians and so it was not too bad. The rate was 60 euros a night.

Many thanks to the excellent links on this site and advice of the posters. It was invaluable.