Wow, this is certainly an interesting topic. I saw a show on a tribe in New Guniea and they said that there are over 700 languages between 100,000 people. This fact makes me realize that if no language were dominant in Spain that it would be pretty messy. Truely, I'm sure that is the way it was in most European countries, although I don't know for sure. All of these former Latin speakers languages became localized and they evolved into different languages and dialects. At some point I think it is beneficial to have one language. Although in catalonia their language is part of their heritage and culture, I think it is great they still speak castillian. I guess the way everyone learned Castillian because it was the most dominant at the time is somewhat similar to the way people all learn english because it is the most dominant.

Well, great post Fernando,

PS, I will be going to Vallencia pretty soon here on the 16th, but I will be going to NYC to stay with a friend on the 10th, so I am getting packed up now. It ain't easy packing for 8 months, but I am resolved to keep it lean and mean. The last time the airline put a tag on my bag that said "get help to lift"