So, short of transfering over with a multinational firm, it seems pretty much impossible for a US citizen to move to Spain for a year and be legal (and please somebody correct me if I've got that wrong). And now that everyone is scaring me out of trying it illegally, I'm wondering what options I'm left with? I know you can stay in Spain up to 90 days no problem, but haven't I read somewhere that under certain circumstances a person can get permission to increase the length of his/her stay for a few more months? Any thoughts?

Also, a question on jobs. I have an graduate degree, corporate experience and a beginner-to-intermediate understanding of Spanish. I want to visit Spain as a 6-12 month sabbatical from the corporate world, but I wouldn't mind making a little money while I'm there to cover some costs. Besides teaching Engligh, are there any other viable jobs for people who aren't fluent in Spanish? Tour guides? Selling real estate? Anything??

Any guidance is appreciated - I'm getting cross-eyed looking at all the countless websites!