ERT,

There's no doubt we still have racism and bigotry in the U.S. Also, there's no doubt that there are hostilities towards immigrants. There is also job discrimination against people which is unfair. But, like any nation, we are trying to come to grip with the problem, and change things. Albeit, often, way too slowly.

In the U.S., there have been reports about immigrants having an extremely high incident rate when it comes to crime, but one of the things that always seems to go hand in hand with the problem is the lack of job opportunities these new people have. Often they aren't given a chance to improve their lot, and much of that has to do with language barriers, and ethnic stereo-typing. It happens, and we can't deny it.

I remember reading something that was written nearly 75 years ago, by an advocate of immigration, who was in the U.S. Senate. He was addressing his constituents, and he asked one question. "How many members of our august group can say that they stand more than two generations away from members of your own family that were not immigrants?"

According to the information I read, only sixteen members of the 97 present could raise their hands, and claim they were more than two generations removed from immigration.

Does this mean it would work for Spain? I don't know. I appreciate your concerns, as a Spaniard, and at the same time wonder what the future has for society if we don't at least try to understand how important the issue is for people in nations where there is no hope for a future. Maybe the reason that it's worked somewhat better in the U.S. is because the nation is so large. Of course, if you're Hispanic, African-American, or Asian, you may not think it's worked all that well. I'd have to agree with them on this issue.

I don't have any answers to the problem. I wish I did, because I'd certainly share it with the world.

Wolf