I like the topic of safety and security.
There are always some new Tips and tricks to learn. I have seen quite a few things and learned a few tricks that I would like to share in hopes that others will also post theirs.

Be prepared. Go throught "what if" senarios before you leave home. Ie: what if I loose this bag, or wallet. What if some drunk bum approaches me in Seville? etc.
Leave your nice chains and jewelry at home. I have a cheap timex watch. If someone threatens me for it, they can have it. Carry SOME cash in your front pocket at all times. If someone is robbing you, you at least have something to hand over. It should include CHANGE that you will drop as you hand it over. This will distract the thief, giving you a window of 1 sec in which you can.....run away?
Be warry of those who ask you what time it is. They may be sizing you up in one of many ways. I am aways aware of the time and when asked I never flinch, without skipping a beat or breaking stride, and not looking at my watch I answer. So what if I'm 15-20min off?? By the way they are only asking you the time beacause they SEE you have a watch on.
I have been followed before in Pamplona (by an "ordinary" looking male). I don't know why. I am male (athletic), married (I was alone at the time). The incident started by him asking me what time it was. I kept an eye on him and after "testing" him noticed that it was not coincidence(going the same direction). I went into a store, he came in, I crossed the street, he crossed. I decided then that I would lead him into a trap where I would knock him out and leave him unconscious, but I came to my senses as I pictured the guardia civil interogating me. I lead him through crowded streets and timed my j- walking so that if he dared follow, he would have been hit by a car. Needless to say I lost him.
Watch who is around you and who is watching you, it has to be second nature.

I used to like wearing a HIP BAG, some call it a fanny bag etc. I don't like them any more and they can be defeated. If you do have one, don't put your papers in there( ie: passport, plane tickets etc.)It is only good for things like a pen, some chicklets, and your entry tickets to the museum. I would rather have a small, managable DAYPACK, (small back pack). In it I have my small "do everything" camera, a small umbrella (for sun or rain)and perhaps some food/clothes. The pack can serve you as a shield in knife attacks. Get used to putting in on and off quickly. My important documents are on me.

Some people like a NECK POUCH. I thinks its suicide. Any one can grab it and choke you with it, (then rob you). The "money belts" I find to be, hot, and very uncomfortable. I've even seen them sticking out of peoples pants.Or they access them in public. What use is it in that case? I have a under arm "holster" money belt. It is never in the way and I make sure that it cannot be seen under my shirts. I never access it in public.

Have Rugged shoes on. How can you defend yourself or your loved ones wearing sandals. Thieves notice this and know that you would never give chase. By the way, leave the COWBOY boots at home, not only for the sandals reason but you may find yourself being made fun of by some 110 kg/ 220 lb local "tuff guy".
Leave your "BALL CAPS" at home. The only place you may pass with one is on the beach.

I like to wear sun glasses. I see better with them in bright situations even overcast but secondly they protect you eyes from dust and air born items and irritants. Some thieves use pepper spray and other irritants, glasses may give you that "golden one second" to ......run away?
Glasses also hide your eyes as you glance around.

I like front pocket on my shirts and T's. The only thing is that the "gitanas" will try to stuff them with flowers. Watch for this distraction, you may get your pocket picked. Also if you reach out and take the flower, be ready to pay for it. Don't put anything in your back pockets. I have heard of "Decoy wallets" but to me that is attracting unwanted attention. I would rather walk past unnoticed.

Watch your bag in restaurants and cafes. Especially where there is a bus terminal or the like. Don't take your bags to the washroom. Have your partner watch them as you go and visa-versa.
Two of you taking the bus?? Have one go in and get 2 seats the other stands outside until your bags are loaded in the bus. I have seen leaches eye bags and the owners, when the owner in on the bus, the leach takes the bag.

I have seen leaches (ie; thiefs) steel purses, pick pocket, break locks etc. There is so much to say, perhaps in future posts. Keep this thread going as we can share and learn from each other.

Agur, y hasta pronto!