I had the pleasure of being mugged TWICE in four days here in my first week of a six month visit to Madrid. The first experience was walking out of Plaza Peurta del Sol in broad daylight. As I was talking on a cell phone, a ladron (too nice a word, IMHO) came up from behind, pushed and tried to grab the phone from my hand. I had to shove him against a car, yelling all sorts of English obscenities, get the phone away from his grimey hand, and I ended up ripping his shirt. He was actually upset I torn his shirt, but defeated, we walked away from each other. Yes, people watched with interest, but no assistance.

The second time was four days later I was walking out of the BlackJack dance bar early in the morning, and was walking toward Pl. del Sol when, once again, I was shoved from behind and had a very strong forearm wrapped around my throat. He squeezed until I passed out. I woke up on the street, with some guy apologizing for his country. My pockets were empty - debit card, cell phone, and some cash. The JERK even took my glasses! Once again, even though it was late, the street was still somewhat busy.

I am pretty non-descript and was even wearing clothes bought in Spain - I don't stick out. So, all I can offer is keep your belongings slim on you, and be aware of your back and surroundings. I certainly won't let a couple (or perhaps the same?) jerks ruin my stay here. ¡Viva España!