MadridMan writes:
Quote:
I know they have flamenco shows in Barcelona but to me this seems a little odd. And how 'bout in Galicia!? Has anyone/Eddie ever seen flamenco in Galicia or other locales in northern Spain?

There are many Gypsies in Barcelona and some of the best Flamenco performers (la Chunga, for example) and classical guitarists (Andres Segovia) call Barcelona home. I have not seen a Tablao Flamenco in Cantabria, Principality of Asturias or Galicia although I have seen ads in el Diario (edición Montañes) for night clubs featuring Flamenco performances. In Spain, anywhere you find tourists you are likely to find Flamenco. cool

In Santander (Cantabria)in the summer months Street performers are out on c/Burgos (about a 200m 'pedestrian walk') beginning around 8:00 PM every night. Last July I saw an excellent classical guitarist performing there and playing some Flamenco. There was also a 40's style (Tommy Dorsey & Glenn Miller) 'jazz' group playing tunes from that era (almost all 'brass'), an Equadorian (or Peruvian) group that always seemed to take the spot at the east end of the calle, and several others. rolleyes

In el Retiro in late January, 2000, my wife almost cried when we heard a Cantaor de Flamenco singing; 'Una Niña se Perdió.' rolleyes

According to my calculations, Sevilla's Biennial Festival de Flamenco will be held this year beginning around September 5th. If nothing else, you might be able to learn a few 'moves' there, assuming that you play classical Guitar. rolleyes
I, for one, have always wanted to master the art of the cantaor; but my wife says: 'tendrias que nacer otra vez!' eek

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]