SALAMANCA: is a nice area... it is PRIME realestate and has become a fabulous area....the palacio de deportes is there as well as GOYA and a great intersection housing el Corte Ingles and MANY other shops.... a great little bar called the Trebol.... and EL Mueseo De Jamon.... its a neat area

LAVAPIES is INTERESTING..... a very ethnic neighborhood.... and perhaps a bid forboding at night..... I still feel fairly safe there by myself... but im 6;3' 275 and dont look like a whimp.... My nickname the workers at my sisters have given me is GOLDBERG..... if that gives you a clue...(not as many muscles) but I digress....
There are a lot of morroccans and brazilians there and many bohemeian like pubs and an interestng nightlife..... Just a stones throw from the RASTRO on sundays.. and Tirso De Molina.... I like it
ARGUELLES: very convenient to La Universidad Compultense and a pleasant Walk to TRAFALGAR which is my home base when Im in Madrid..... BILBAO is my metro station hence METROBILBAO.... great bars and night life... cool Jazz club on Alburqerque St.. called Clamores,,,,, and neat places from the cafe commercial in the Glorieta Bilbao (READ CELAS LA COLMENA) all the way up calle Fuencarral to Quevedo...