Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9847 - 09/26/00 10:42 AM Madrid to Seville
Andree Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
What is the train service between Madrid and Seville like? How long does it take, how frequent is the service and how much does a return ticket cost in both classes. I am travelling November 10 and have never travelled in Spain very much. Many thanks
Andree

#9848 - 09/26/00 11:24 AM Re: Madrid to Seville
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Andree! Welcome to the group!!

I haven't made this trip by train, only by car. But you can get all the other answers to your questions on the RENFE website. Have a GRRREAT trip and be sure to return to tell us all about it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9849 - 09/26/00 01:43 PM Re: Madrid to Seville
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
I can recommend the AVE high speed train that guarantees a refund if its more than a few minutes late. This runs between Madrid & Sevilla.

#9850 - 09/26/00 01:47 PM Re: Madrid to Seville
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
From about 06:30 to 20:30 there's hourly AVE or Talgo-200 service (2.5 hours Madrid-Sevilla). There's a once-a-day Triana that takes a bit longer (I think it's about 3.5 hours) and costs a little less. I can't tell you the roundtrip prices but, from my experience two weeks ago, the prices given on the Renfe website are not up to date: Monday, 11 Sep, Turista/Llano 1-way Sevilla to Madrid cost us 9.900 pesetas each (The Renfe web site said 9.000).

You should get a discount on a roundtrip ticket: Don't buy reservations / tickets at the Renfe Office in Barajas airport. She'll sell you two 1-way tickets with no roundtrip discount. I don't think you even have to ask for the roundtrip discount at the Puerta de Atocha ticket counters - they just give it to you automatically (The AVE ticket Office is on your right as you come out of the main concourse into the 'gardens' - just north of the main concourse)

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 09-26-2000).]

#9851 - 09/26/00 04:52 PM Re: Madrid to Seville
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Andree,

Madridman is right. You can get all the information about Renfe at its website. The English version is here . You can even buy the tickets online.

As steveaqui said, AVE promise trains won't be more than 5 minutes late or they will refund your money. But don't expect to be so lucky. AVE trains have been delayed only once in 6 years and most of the times they arrive earlier than the scheduled arrival time.

Eddie,

I have check it at the Renfe website says 9900 pesetas (both at the Spanish and at the English version) for Llano/Tourist class trains.

I'm also very surprised to hear that they didn't sell you a roundtrip ticket at the Renfe office at the airport.

This afternoon I went to the ticket office at Alcalá, 44. Two of my customers went to Atocha and somehow they sell them a roundtrip ticket but they didn't tell my customers about the difference between a llano and a valle train. The man at the station didn't speak English and he was trying to persuade them to take an earlier train for some strange reason. At Alcalá office, we found a very nice man who told us he couldn't change their tickets because they got a special "day roundtrip" discount.

When you buy an AVE roundtrip ticket you get 20% discount (this admits changes). But if you buy a day roundtrip ticket you may even get more discount (25%) but this will mean you can't change the tickets. That is, more expensive = more flexibility (like air fares, I guess).

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#9852 - 09/28/00 02:40 PM Re: Madrid to Seville
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
All I can say in answer to Antonio's later 'post' is: Sevilla-Madrid Prices on the Renfe Web site were apparently updated between 5 September (when I looked at them) and 26 September when Antonio checked them.

#9853 - 09/28/00 03:35 PM Re: Madrid to Seville
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Does a llano train go thru the flats and a Valle train negotiate valleys?? No entiendo.

#9854 - 09/28/00 03:46 PM Re: Madrid to Seville
Andree Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about the train service between Madrid and Seville. I have enough information now to plan my trip! Thanks again.
Andrée

#9855 - 09/28/00 06:55 PM Re: Madrid to Seville
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I don't know whether rgf's post was a joke or not, but I will explain the difference anyway.

AVE and Talgo 200 trains are classified depending on the schedules. Those trains running during busy hours are called "llano" and those during off peak hours are called "valle". Thus, "valle" trains are cheaper than "llano" ones.

There used to be a third category (called "punta") but it seems that now there are only "valle" and "llano" trains.

---

Eddie,

I checked Renfe's website on the 20th so the mistake might have been corrected before that day. It's surprising because you can even buy AVE tickets online and I don't think they will let you get away with 10% discount

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#9856 - 09/28/00 07:14 PM Re: Madrid to Seville
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Antonio-- my post was NOT a joke-- I really never heard those terms. In english it is peak and off-peak. So I guess peak is the llano and valle is the off-peak! interesting. How about we re-name it poetically-- llano, estrujula, agudo. Now that is funny, no??? rgf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments