Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9831 - 09/26/00 12:18 AM Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
Bolobesum Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA. USA
Hola,

I was advised to take the Subway or bus from
the airport to the hostel when I arrive. Does anyone know which subway or bus to take from the airport to Plaza Santa Ana?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Madrid Man, Thank you and everyone who posts for the wonderful up to date information. This
is my first trip to Spain and I feel much more
confident and prepared because of this site.

Muchos Gracias,
Terri

#9832 - 09/26/00 01:16 AM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
derek Offline

Loc: London. UK
I have taken the subway from the airport and it is very easy to use. Beware that is a long walk through the airport to the metro.
The best way to plan your journey is to find the link to the metro web site on MadridMan's homepage and print out the metro map. It really is a very good system as the trains seem to run very frequently.
It is also extremely good value for money with a single ticket something like 135 pesetas and a 10 journey ticket costing around 705.
I would allow anything from 30 minutes to an hour from the airport to your destination.
Derek

[Derek, I have edited your message to put the current prices (year 2000)]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 09-26-2000).]

#9833 - 09/26/00 01:46 AM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree with dc. From what I hear, the metro is very easy to use if you don't have a lot of luggage. You have to change metro trains a number of times to get to the city center, but it's not at all difficult.

You can view the current metro map HERE . NOTE: the dashed lines are the sections of line #10 which is closed for renovation.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9834 - 09/26/00 03:49 AM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi,

The airport station is in the north-east (line 8). Plaza Santa Ana is somewhere between "Sol" and "Antón Martín" (in the center of the map).

You will get to "Sol" a little faster (about 45-50 minutes from the airport). Take line 8 to "Mar de cristal", then take line 4 to "Goya", and then take line 2 to "Sol".

Plaza Santa Ana is less than 1/2 km from Sol, so you have to consider the amount of luggage you have.

Anyone would recomend getting out at "Antón Martín" or "Tirso de Molina"?

Saludos.

#9835 - 09/26/00 06:55 AM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Wow, francisco! That was very nice and helpful. Hey, if I could get an extra trip to Madrid in the deal I'd be willing carry Bolobesum's luggage from the airport to their hotel ON FOOT!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9836 - 09/26/00 04:39 PM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Francisco,

I wouldn't advise getting off at Tirso de Molina station but Antón Martín is not so dangerous / bad.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#9837 - 09/26/00 04:44 PM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
Bolobesum Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA. USA
Francisco,

Excellent!! Thank you for the very helpful directions. Fortunately, I only have one backpack(1/2 full in case I see anything I
want to bring back with me.) :-) I am looking
forward to doing some walking so the distance
sounds perfect.

Saludos,
Terri

#9838 - 09/26/00 05:08 PM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Antonio/Francisco, what makes the Tirso de Molina metro stop so dangerous/bad?? It's one stop from SOL and SOL isn't bad at all (I don't think). Thanks for any explanation.

Saludos, MadridMan

#9839 - 09/26/00 05:23 PM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
derek Offline

Loc: London. UK
Watch out for the partial closure of Line 2 (the red line). We got caught out a few weeks back. It seems to be closed between Goya and Sevilla, or maybe a bit further. It just means changing earlier to avoid that part of the Metro. Change at somewhere like Diego de Leon or Avenida De America.
The repairs might even be finished by the time you go but whatever it will still be very easy to Get To Anton Martin, which is a pretty ok place to get off.
Derek

#9840 - 09/26/00 05:58 PM Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
dc,

Line 2 metro was reopened on September 16th as you can see from the metro map at my site (which coincidentally Madridman copied )

dc, please remove your post above and and I'll do the same with mine so as not to confuse people about line 2 closure.

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 09-26-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments