Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9694 - 09/06/00 01:27 PM Madrid to Granada - drive time
reg Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Does someone out there know the time it will take to drive from Madrid to Granada. I am renting a car and would like to know approximately how long it will take to drive the distance.

#9695 - 09/06/00 04:01 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Reg - if you just drive straight from Madrid to Granada you miss way too much. Cordoba if you start south; Vallencia and the coast if you start east, etc. In answer to your question - Spanish freeways are easy driving; average speed is about 80 mph (as I recall) and not too crowded. I don't remeber the exact k's between the two cities -it isn't that long a drive. But take some time to sightsee and to explore - there's a lot of beautiful country between the two cities. By the way, getting into and out of the cities is another matter.

#9696 - 09/06/00 06:31 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
reg Offline

Thanks Puna,
I would definately like to take my time travelling to Granada and explore but because of time constraints it will probably be straight through and then some day trips from Granada. Depending on how long it will take to drive we may make a few stops on the way. I have heard getting out of Madrid can be a little crazy. Any advice?

#9697 - 09/06/00 07:49 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
i mean it is a bit difficult, but nothing you can't do, but driving in madrid in any form is a BIG challenge. I rented a car on my last trip and drove down south, but I went Madrid to Cordoba, so i don't know how long it will take you to get Granada. But don't worry about getting out of Madrid, The whole country is very difficult to drive in if you are not familiar with it. good luck!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#9698 - 09/07/00 02:25 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Reg - if you are still checking this page try going to the CNN Travel section - I believe you can find the miles/distance between the two cities there. I know MapQuest still does not have overseas information. Also, try some of the links on MM's opening page - there might be something there to answer your question. By the way - getting in/out of the cities can be confusing - try and get a good map of Granada before you leave Madrid. If you are flying over on Iberia they give you a great map of Madrid - 100000000% better than whatever the car rental place will give you and that makes entering/leaving the city alot easier. I don't know if this is airport or Iberia policy - but do not rely on the rental agency map to get you back into Madrid to return the car. It's easier getting out of the city than returning for some reason

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 09-07-2000).]

#9699 - 09/07/00 03:29 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
actually, except for in and out of cities, driving in Spain is straightforward and easy! Just watch those mountain areas. Or if you are going really rural. Getting out of Madrid from the rental places on the gran via heading NORTH (carretera de la coruna) is the easiest thing in the whole damn world. turn left, turn right. for everything else... a good map, and a conversation with someone who KNOWS before you hop in that car

#9700 - 09/07/00 06:44 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
reg Offline

Thanks rgf and Puna, your information is great and the entire website has been extremely useful! I even booked my hostal (Lopez) with the link provided with no problem.

We are flying into Madrid on Iberia so I will inquire about the Map. Also, we will not be heading north, just down to the southern coast and dropping the car in Sevilla, so I will not have to worry about driving back into Madrid. I will try to acquire a map of each city we plan to drive to next. Do most tourist information places have maps to other Spanish cities?

Also, do you recommend taking the train (subway) from the airport to hostal or other mode of transportation (shuttle/taxi?). We are not arriving until 7:00 at night so I am not sure what would be best.

#9701 - 09/07/00 10:21 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
mary Offline

Loc: California USA
I drove through Spain this past May. If my memory serves me right our drive between Granada and Madrid was about 4 hours. We originated in Madrid, then drove to Cordoba. From there to Costa del Sol, then Jerez and Seville. The drive from Seville to Granada was about 3 1/2 hours. The freeways are great, but don't expect to drive in the big cities. We parked our car and walked or took public transportion while in the cities. The parking will cost you approximately $10.00(US) per day, even at the hotels. E-mail me if you would like additional information. (Note: We found it very easy getting out of town, the challenge is driving into the cities.) Have a great trip.

[This message has been edited by mary (edited 09-07-2000).]

#9702 - 09/07/00 10:32 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Better to BUY some good michelin maps at a bookstore/corte ingles or wherever than depend on the simplified tourist maps given at information places. You should consider booking aerocity (see MMs transportation section) or taking the metro if you are light on luggage. the taxi is almost always your first, and maybe only, official rip off!

#9703 - 09/08/00 11:42 AM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
aerocity Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi Reg!
Straight distance between Madrid and Granada is 415 kilometers, so think in something more than 4 hours of driving, plus the time in leaving Madrid which could be significant (1 hour +) if you leave in a rush hour.
Road is all the way a nice toll free, double line highway, like in the US.
Speed limit is 120 kms/hr or 70 miles per hr.
If you have time, I suggest a stop by Toledo, 70 kms south of Madrid.
Have a nice trip.

#9704 - 09/08/00 01:48 PM Re: Madrid to Granada - drive time
Zzeus11 Offline

Aerocity info re.distance and driving from Madrid to Granada is correct.Weekend driving can be slower than max speed limit.I suggest to stop ,detour , to Consuegra ,small town en route to Granada.I found driving in Spain wonderful,whether big or small city,finally brakes and steering wheel in a car have meaning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments