Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#96746 - 06/26/20 11:58 AM Re: How are you coping with the coronavirus crisis? [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Online   content
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Great to hear from you again Pedro and it is good to hear that all is going well. I expect that your travels will have been severely limited by the lockdown?
Good to hear also that the blog is going well too.
Rob

#96747 - 06/27/20 01:08 AM Re: How are you coping with the coronavirus crisis? [Re: CaliBasco]
Executive Member

Craig - thanks for posting. I don't have any admin rights on this site but I did have a search for outside Camino de Santiago journal. I couldn't find anything as the search facility only extends to 14 years in the past!

I wonder if Madridman could find it and put a link to it?

BTW - thanks for posting your update and it's good to hear that all is going well.

Rob RR

#96749 - 06/27/20 02:12 AM Re: How are you coping with the coronavirus crisis? [Re: robbieroy]
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I think it's from a site that MM has at spainiac.com. I pulled it because I lost it--and his was the only place I had it. Saved my bacon.

I'll have to pout a little more chatter on here!

#96752 - 06/29/20 03:38 AM Re: How are you coping with the coronavirus crisis? [Re: robbieroy]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Hey guys . Still makes me sad that I had to leave Madrid the city and all that came with it , especially my friends over there . I did have the pleasure of a visit from MMand a Spanish friend some years ago and they stayed with me at my brother's big house down here in East Sussex . We did the whole 1066 country trips into Hastings , Rye , Battle etc....as well as a rainy day trip to London ... The city that sits side by side with Madrid in my heart . Unfortunately I had a few accidents / seizures that left me unconscious on a few occasions but things have improved significantly after various stays in hospital so a return trip to Madrid ( especially now with the so-called 'air coridoors' ) is back on the cards smile . I'm not working at the moment and restrict myself to doing some charity work with the children's charity Barnardo's . We've been closed for some time now during lockdown but have a reopening date set up in the next few weeks . I keep very good contact with MM and various others on this forum via good old-fashioned Facebook and have just finished , over a period of time , uploading just over a thousand Madrid photos which has sparked many memories for me and others . The response has been great so I'm trawling my back up discs to see what other gems I can find . The Coronavirus thing for me is more of an inconvenience than anything else . In no way am I underestimating how awful the Covid19 disease is but on a personal note the only thing that bothers me is that I can't get a haircut !! Roll on July 4th . To be honest it's quite nice walking into town and down to the seafront when it's not crowded and is peaceful . My brother and his family continue to live in Russia where the lockdown imposed by Putin is uber severe but my conversation with my brother a few days ago suggests he may have found a loophole as he's hired a huge mansion up in Cumbria during August and I've been invited to join him . Still mulling over the idea . I'm lucky enough to have a smallish but comfortable apartment here in Hastings on a very quiet road . Quiet and yet just a 3 minute walk to the main park and a 10 minute walk into town and the seafront . I have great garden so I spend quite a bit of time out there . The apartment is one of four in what was an old Victorian mansion and I'm pleased to say that I know all my neighbours very well and we all help each other in various ways . Unusual these days ! One drawback of Hastings is that there are almost no places to go catering for the LGTB community . We have one bar which is really nice and over the last 2 years we've had a gay pride march through town which is good fun but basically Brighton is the only place to go for a comprehensive gay community up in Kemp Town . Brighton can be quite cool but it's got way too far ahead of itself to the extent that people from Brighton who came to Hastings for gay pride said they preferred Hastings because it's more friendly and less commercial . Hopefully our LGTB organisations here will continue trying to highlight LGTB issues in the town . One thing we do get here in Hastings is a huge amount of foreign students and many of those are from Spain so ocassionally I get to speak the lingo . It seems all and sundry are doing fine here and whilst I can't promise , I'll try and tear myself away from FB and have a chat on this forum . Hasta Pronto !

#96753 - 06/30/20 03:08 AM Re: How are you coping with the coronavirus crisis? [Re: steve robinson]
Executive Member

Hi Steve
It was great to read your update and it is heartening to read that you keep in touch with folks via FB. I too use it quite a lot and have been in touch with Scott a couple of times. I have not yet hooked up with any other members of the Forum but would be keen to if the opportunity exists. If anyone would like to hook up via FB then please PM me from this forum and I'll let you have my user name.
Sorry to hear that you have health problems but hopefully now you are out of the woods.
I have to admit that, as much as I love being in Spain, the thought of air travel at the moment I'd a bit off-putting.

As you may know, I have a camper van which I use a lot all year round but the cancellation of events I attend during the summer have been cancelled so I guess I'll have to be content with touring parts of Scotland for leisure rather than with purpose (visiting folks and attending various events). The 5 mile travel restriction here in Scotland gets lifted this Friday and I've cleaned out the van in anticipation of a wee run out in it at the weekend.
Hopefully other who have posted will.get back with further updates.
Take care and stay safe
Rob

#96763 - 07/08/20 04:31 AM Re: How are you coping with the coronavirus crisis? [Re: robbieroy]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I went downtown Madrid last weekend/Sunday for lunch and was happy to find one of my favorite old-time bars open and the about-to-retire owner/bartender still there, so that was encouraging.

We had lunch at a place near Plaza de San Martín and they had the tables spread out and the wait staff all wore masks.

We also went to the El Corte Inglés shop on the Puerta del Sol and it was busy. Get this: I heard a rumor that shops were going to turn OFF their air conditioning because it circulated potentially "infected" air to all customers - unless they had special filters in place.

We took the bus to/from downtown and, of course, all passengers must wear protective masks on all forms of transportation, but I have to wonder how often the handles, railings, seats are disinfected.

In short, it was a better overall experience than the previous visit downtown. There are still almost NO tourists, which is nice, and so lots of space to walk.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07, Anne Marie
7771 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MTTrueBlue
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 557 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments