Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 189 of 217 < 1 2 187 188 189 190 191 216 217 >
Topic Options
#96330 - 06/28/19 02:15 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Online   content
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
We are now going to leave Dunnottar Woods and head to the iconic Dunnottar Castle and coastal path back to Stonehaven...

Heading out of the woods

This road was the former main route south from Aberdeen which passed through Stonehaven

Playing a lot of competitive sport in my younger days we we be on this road nearly every second weekend, travelling to Glasgow and Edinburgh. This building has always been there and it may have been something to do with a water system

We head up a tarred track

and are granted great views of the countryside

The war memorial above Stonehaven

We pass farms on the way to the castle

The cow whisperer

We can now see the sea so the castle is not far

Dunnottar Castle and a wet lunch...

#96331 - 06/29/19 03:11 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Ahead we can see the ruins of Dunnottar Castle...

Dunnottar Castle is a ruined medieval fortress located upon a rocky headland on the northeastern coast of Scotland, about 2 miles south of Stonehaven. 

It is a popular spot for tourists

Looking east to the castle

A great view of castle

The surviving buildings are largely of the 15th and 16th centuries

The bay to the north of the castle

The path goes down a long way

One of my favourite views

For more information on the history of the castle please refer to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnottar_Castle

Oh no! 🙁 ...

#96332 - 06/30/19 03:49 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Then it happened....

The heavens opened and down came the rain

It was torrential at times
[img][/img]

But fortunately short-lived

The view to the north

Looking back to the castle

It was time to take the coastal path back to Stonehaven

I hope you had a great week and a restful weekend. Have you been affected by the European heatwave? Here in the north east of Scotland it had been warm but not much more than 20 deg C.
Last night we had torrential rain, thunder and lightening - the first for a long, long time. The storm lasted for a couple if hours.
Today is warm with blue skies.

The Sunday Snaps from the BBC can be found here... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48758360

Epic!...

#96333 - 07/01/19 02:22 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

The view of the castle from the coastal path was epic. Just look at these...

A farm to the west if the path

Looking north towards Stonehaven

The step cliffs and bay

A last look at the castle...

#96334 - 07/02/19 02:29 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are approaching the war memorial on the coast above Stonehaven

As we do so, looking back gives us a final views of Dunnottar Castle in the distance

The bay below

Our next stop

On our way to the memorial...

#96335 - 07/03/19 02:10 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are leaving Dunnottar Castle behind us

and heading along the coastal path

to the war memorial

There is some great scenery on the way

Stonehaven's war memorial is rather different from those we normally see, and rather larger, and stands on the top of Black Hill overlooking the town from the south.

It commands excellent views

Buzzed by a buzzard...

#96336 - 07/04/19 02:29 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are at the war memorial above Stonehaven...

We need to climb up there

But the vies are worth it

A buzzard circles overhead

Looking down to one of the bays

The thick gorse on the hillside

The castle on the horizon

The coastal road in the distance with the town of Stonehaven behind

The climb was worth it...

#96337 - 07/05/19 12:42 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

The climb up to the war memorial above Stonehaven was worth it. It is an impressive structure

The names of eight First World War battles are inscribed around the crown of the structure: Gallipoli, Jutland, Marne, Mons, Somne, Vimy, Ypres and Zeebrugge

The names of Second World War campaigns and battles were later added around its base. Steps and a gate lead into the heart of the memorial, and here you find a centrally placed triangular stone on which are inscribed the names of those from Stonehaven,who fell during the First World War. 

The memorial was designed by local architect John Ellis, and unveiled on Sunday 20 May 1923. 

Sources describe it as "round", though it is actually octagonal in shape. The structure has something of the appearance of an ancient ruin. This was deliberate, and meant to signify the many shortened and ruined lives caused by the conflict.

Classic view of the harbour from high up...

#96338 - 07/06/19 03:32 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

On the final leg of our walk we are blessed with incredible views of Stonehaven and its harbour

But the heavens opened again and heavy rain came down

Fortunately we've not too far to go

So that's it for this trip out in the van. I hope it has encouraged you to visit Stonhaven, Dunnottar Woods and Dunnottar Castle.

Although there was no time to go into the castle on this occassion, I have been in there and posted the photos on the forum.
If you would like to see my posts on the interior of Dunnottar Castle then you can view them here www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93826#Post93826

Summer Road trip....

#96339 - 07/07/19 04:22 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

I hope you have had a good week and a restful weekend. In off on a road trip. I'm heading south for the summer. First stop will be St Cyrus near Montrose, then North Berwick which is south east of Edinburgh. Following that I'm off down to the Lake District before heading back to Aberdeen and then on to Forres and Buckie.

St Cyrus
First we are heading to the nature reserve at St Cyrus.

We are heading down to the sea and the coastal nature reserve of St Cyrus

Road bridge and railway bridge

The visitor centre

Let's pop in to the centre

There is lots of useful information

The view from outside the centre

The trail has lots of information points

A bridge, said to be built by the Gurkhas in 1985 takes us over marshland

Some of the places I'll be parked up in the van will probably have a limited phone signal but I'll still post daily. If my early morning post is not there by the usual time it just means that I can't get a data signal at that time so check back later in the day.

This week's Sunday Snaps can be found here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48869606

On the beach...

Page 189 of 217 < 1 2 187 188 189 190 191 216 217 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
Anne Marie, seanmiles800, MikeRod1, Eustathius, Gypsy
7767 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndreeaRO, MQunell
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 795 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments