Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#95967 - 08/12/18 04:53 AM Private Car Transport Apps & Madrid Taxi Strike
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...

The 2018 Summer Taxi Strike, which started in late July and ended in early August, was aimed at limiting the government's proliferation of private car transportation licenses given to companies like UBER, Cabify, and others, and thus limiting taxi competition.

On the 1st of August, some friends and I had to fly out of Madrid Barajas Airport. But because of the continuing (now ceased) taxi strike in Madrid - and throughout Spain - we had to go by Cercanías train to Terminal 4. This is actually a good option if you A) are not in a hurry, B) don't mind walking a bit with your full-size luggage, C) aren't traveling with children, and D) are looking to save money.

My first thought of the taxi strike against UBER and Cabify was, "Well, if the taxis are on strike, won't MORE people use these app-related services or be energized to do so more often in the future once comparing the two?" It seemed to be a shot-in-the-foot to me, but at least it brought attention to the issue - which is COMPLICATED.

Some say that the taxi organization is just another strong-arm sector which uses force to get what it wants.

Others say that a 160,000€ taxi license gives taxi drivers/owners the right to do pretty much whatever they want.

Personally, I think a set-price of 30€ to go to or from the airport (within the M-30 ring) is a pretty good deal and was a good initiative completed a few years ago.

I've never used any ride-hailing or taxi apps in my life, but know a lot of people do and enjoy their ease of use.

Has anyone here used these private ride-hailing apps in Madrid and can compare them to taxis?

Saludos,

MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#95974 - 08/14/18 09:43 AM Re: Private Car Transport Apps & Madrid Taxi Strike [Re: MadridMan]
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
I haven’t used Uber yet in Madrid but I do use it frequently in New York City. It is a complicated issue here in NYC as in Madrid.

New York just placed a cap on the number of cars for Uber and similar services. These cars now outnumber taxis by about 4 to 1. Prior to Uber there was a shortage of taxis with taxi licenses or medallions costing a million dollars. I think that the cap is a good idea to relieve the congestion caused by the increase in the number of cars in the city center.

Prior to Uber it was difficult to get a taxi outside of Manhattan. Now there are special taxis that are available in the four other boroughs.

Since Uber is charged to your credit card the driver doesn’t carry a lot of cash. This is much safer for the driver as there are fewer robberies. Taxis now let you pay by credit card.

The passenger also feels safer because they get to see a photo of the driver, the car and the license plate number. A record is kept of each trip. The passenger knows in advance how much the trip will cost.

NYC also has a flat fare from the airport to any location in Manhattan. I believe it is about $55. This was a good idea to stop drivers from taking longer routes to increase the fare.

I am a fan of Uber but I realize there are some problems to work out to help the taxi drivers.

#95977 - 08/14/18 04:09 PM Re: Private Car Transport Apps & Madrid Taxi Strike [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I use Uber in Mexico city but not comfortable with it. Never in Madrid know it well ::)
Cheers

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
seanmiles800, MikeRod1, Eustathius, Gypsy, Eduardo Rivas
7766 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Selena
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 585 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments