Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 150 of 160 < 1 2 148 149 150 151 152 159 160 >
Topic Options
#95903 - 06/12/18 02:48 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Online   content
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
We are at the Old Parish Church graveyard in Longside, Aberdeenshire...

The original church was built in the early 17th century

It replaced by the much larger church built alongside in the 1830s

The old church was reportedly roofless before the end of the 19th century.

The interior space of the church has been used for later burials

There are numerous mostly later 19th century gravestones

Information Source: http://www.scottishchurches.org.uk/sites...ngside+Grampian

Let's head back to the van

We'll leave the graves of Jamie Fleeman and the Rev John Skinner behind

This is the new parish church build on the same grounds

Some of the cottages around the church

Old Deer or Old dear?...

Edited by robbieroy (06/12/18 02:49 AM)

#95904 - 06/13/18 02:55 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Our travels in the van continue as we head to Old Deer. I had been in the area before when I visited Deer Abbey but I did nit have time to explore more of the area.
If you are interested you can see the posts on Deer Abbey http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95383#Post95383

I stopped briefly on my way because I spotted this ruin, It is possibly related to Aden Country Park nearby
https://imgur.com/a/p0PvonP

It may have been a gatehouse or lodge to the estate

The reason for heading there was to find a pre-reformation church - Old Deer Old Kirk. I was not sure where it was so stopped here in error

This was another churchyard and lodge

Set in the open countryside

Finally we are in the pleasant little granite village of Old Deer

Columba and his nephew Drostan founded a monastery here in the 6th century, of which no trace remains

The Book of Deer is a most interesting relic of the monks, which was discovered in 1857 in the Cambridge University library (more on the Book of Deer in my posts here http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95403#Post95403 )

Let's head to the Old Kirk...

Edited by robbieroy (06/13/18 03:00 AM)

#95905 - 06/14/18 02:42 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Let's head down Abbey Street (the main Street in Old Deer) to the churches st the end of the street.

There are two, the Parish Church and the Episcopal Church

The Episcopal church

The Parish Church of Scotland - Deer Parish Church

The church building was built in 1789, and the tower was added in 1881

There is a doorway just to the left of the church - I thought the Old Kirk might be there

Let's head through the doorway to see what we can kind...

A path follows the church yard wall

and leads to a bridge

This is a pleasant shaded walk

It seemed to head off into woods

But it is time to leave that leafy den and head into the Parish Church graveyard to find the Old Kirk...

#95906 - 06/15/18 03:20 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

It is not that I have an unhealthy fascination with graveyards or old churches, it is just that there is so much history wrapped up in them!
We are visiting the Old Kirk in Old Deer in Aberdeenshire...

Leaving the leafy den

we head into the Deer Parish Church graveyard

This is not the Old Kirk but Deer Parish Church built in 1789

It is a fine building - the tower was added in 1881

These are the remains of Old Deer Old Kirk the churchyard of the parish church.

It was common practice for churches to be built on the same site as, or near, the church they replaced. Here is one of the arched recesses

The origins of a church at Deer can be traced back to the arrival here of St Drostan, a follower of St Columba, in the 580s

St Drostan founded a monastery in a loop of the South Ugie Water here, a monastery most famous for its association with the Book of Deer (or Book of Deir). This is an illuminated manuscript produced in the 900s in Latin, with additions in Gaelic, which makes it the earliest example of written Gaelic to have survived

likely that Old Deer Old Kirk stands on or very close to the site of St Drostan's first church

The standing remains look to date back to the 1400s, suggesting it was just the latest of a series of churches to have stood on this site over the previous 800 years

Information Source: https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/deer/oldkirk/index.html

These are old, very old...

#95907 - 06/16/18 03:08 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are exploring the ruins of the pre-reformation Old Parish Kirk in Old Deer. In 1219 Deer Abbey was founded by William Comyn, the Earl of Buchan, on a site half a mile to the west hence there is a lot of religious history to the area...

This is an inset stone cupboard which would originally have been used to hold the vessels used in services, and is now home to a modern memorial.

Some of the inset carvings are dated 1603

A number of memorials have been set into the outside of the north wall

Remember the Fergusons of Pitfour and the Ferguson Observatory? One of the Fergusons is buried here

The family tomb of the Clan Russell

Information Source: https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/deer/oldkirk/index.html

Time for us to jump in the camper van and head elsewhere...

Edited by robbieroy (06/16/18 09:42 AM)

#95908 - 06/17/18 03:40 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

I hope you have had a good week...
This week saw the French Open Tennis Championships end with another victory by Nadal and the 2018 World Cup of Football begin. There was also carnage at the US Open Golf Championships with high scores being returned due to the difficulty of the course.
In the news, the Trump-Kim summit took place in Singapore, Spain accepted the 600 ship-based migrants refused by Italy and Malta, and closer to home, fire gutted the Glasgow School of Art.

Still in Old Deer, here is the Public Hall

The influence of the clergy in the area can be noted

During this trip I had based myself in Cruden Bay to take advantage of the opportunity to fish from the harbour wall

The weather was good

Blue skies but a cold wind

I've jumped in the van again and as you can see from the signpost, I am heading to Maud

I had never been to Maud before (no reason to go there) but I was intrigued that it had a railway museum...

Here is the museum

Set in leafy surroundings

The railway museum is based in the former Maud Railway Station building

This is the nearby Station Hotel

The Sunday Snaps with pictures of Scotland can be found here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44409759

Have a great week. I am going to try to head off in the van for more fishing!

I didn't realise! - more from Maud...

#95909 - 06/18/18 02:32 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Maud is only 12 miles from Peterhead and therefore within easy striking distance of my overnight base at Cruden Bay...

The former railway platform and some old carriages

Maud Station was on the former Formartine and Buchan Railway

It opened in stages between 1861 and 1865 - the former station building is now a museum

Its main line ran from Dyce in the south to Fraserburgh in the north, and there was a branch line which connected to Peterhead

The Maud Railway Museum

It has limited opening times - it was closed when I went to visit

Looking along the line - the railway stopped carrying passengers in the 1960s and freight at the end of the 1970s

More information on Maud Station can be found here http://www.friendsofmaud.org.uk/

Maud has been and still is the meeting place of six roads

For this reason, it has been one of the largest marts or livestock markets until recently, selling local livestock

Information Source https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/deer/maud/index.html

Hints of a grand history and a surprise find!...

Edited by robbieroy (06/18/18 02:33 AM)

#95910 - 06/19/18 03:00 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Here is the route I took from Cruden Bay to Maud - I went via Peterhead to do some shopping.

Maud became a major junction for the railway lines to Fraserburgh, Peterhead and south to Aberdeen and beyond. Because of the railway junction this saw the expansion of the agricultural mart and it became the major centre for the farming communities of the area. Hence the legacy of the Railway Museum. The grand side entrance to the Station Hotel

The agricultural mart was located in the centre of the village and would have generated a lot of income. There would have been coach houses in the village for travellers. This may have been one

The mart would have drawn in other business to the village, this not only included agricultural supplies but also Chemists, Cobblers and food supplies. Maud was at this time a bustling hive of activity and the village people prospered because of this - perhaps stables would have been in this yard

I left Maud behind and began to head back to Cruden Bay. There is a Castle Road in Maud and someone had mentioned a nearby castle but I searched for it in vain.

Then suddenly, I saw something in the middle of a field...

I parked up here

and began to head up this track

Before heading up the track, there is a Fairy Woods experience for youngsters

Those woods are dense and it is dark in there! - I gave them a body swerve!

The ruin in the field was indeed the castle I was looking for

There it is in the field

Let's head up there...

Edited by robbieroy (06/19/18 03:04 AM)

#95911 - 06/20/18 02:14 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Fedderate Castle

We have just left Maud and have come across Fedderate Castle...

The ruin of Fedderate Castle was built by the Crawford family

The lands had been held by a family who took their name from their estate. They were from Sweden and originally called Crafoord
The castle is on a ridge and commands good views

It was a bonus finding it. 1257 is thought to be the date of building

All that remains of Fedderate Castle is a portion of the walls, 30 feet high and 6 feet thick

There may have been a castle on this site sine 1200

A view to Fedderate Woods

In 1690, it was seized and occupied by Lord Oliphant, and besieged by General Mackay

It may have subsequently been held against the government in the 1715 rebellion.
Eventually in 1725 it fell to the Earl of Aberdeen, a Jacobite sympathiser, but was never repaired.
Instead, the castle was abandoned, and was eventually to be blown up and used as a quarry for farm buildings

The plaque with some information about the castle

Information Sources: https://canmore.org.uk/event/670456 and https://thecastleguy.co.uk/castle/fedderate-castle/

#95912 - 06/21/18 03:15 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are taking a walk to the Harbour Expansion Project at the Bay of Nigg in Aberdeen with visitors from the continent. They had heard about it an wanted to see the work in progress...

Dredging the bay

The north breakwater

I'll post some updates in the weeks to come.

Meanwhile, Aberdeen was hosting the Look Again Festival.

The first two were good but last year's festival was disappointing. This year's was the worst ever! You'll see what I mean...

This one, at Marischal College was entitled A House in the Woods

Just across the road in the new Marischall Square development

We find Pop Up Playscapes

Page 150 of 160 < 1 2 148 149 150 151 152 159 160 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
seanmiles800, MikeRod1, Eustathius, Gypsy, Eduardo Rivas
7766 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Selena
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 585 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments