Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 144 of 168 < 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 167 168 >
Topic Options
#95836 - 04/14/18 02:50 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Online   content
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Nuart Aberdeen, a new international platform, is designed to not only present the most interesting and relevant Street Art of its time, but to also activate and inspire an emergent local scene whilst encouraging creative collaborations with twin city Stavanger. (http://2018.nuartaberdeen.co.uk/)

It was quite a trek around town to gather the photos of the street art. Fortunately it was a reasonable day...

The sky was blue

and cloudless

We move on from the first collection to the next set of artwork, some of which are from last year's Nuart. As we go we pass through some historic streets

and ahead, something a bit larger...

Edited by robbieroy (04/14/18 02:51 AM)

#95837 - 04/15/18 03:08 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

I managed to get the camper van out for a run yesterday so headed up to Peterhead to give it a decent workout...

Here I am parked up above the Lido

The view is good from here as it looks across the bay

The Lido Caravan Site in the foreground

Looking towards the marina and boat houses

Heading to town. We'll stop and have a look at the memorial in the next post.

Meanwhile, back in Aberdeen, the tour of the Nuart exhibits continues. Brought to Aberdeen by the team behind Stavanger’s internationally renowned Nuart Festival, the award-winning festival returns to the Granite City for its second year.

The maritime heritage of the city is celebrated

and recent history's oil explosion

We move on through the graveyard

To a roof top garden to see the next piece of art

The Sunday Snaps from around Scotland can be viewed here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43666930

I hope you have had a good week and a good weekend. The weather has picked up a bit here in the North East of Scotland during the last couple of days which makes being out and about a lot more pleasurable. All the best for the new week.

Peterhead, Painted Doors and paper monsters...

Edited by robbieroy (04/15/18 03:12 AM)

#95838 - 04/16/18 02:51 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

As we wall from the Lido car park to the town centre of Peterhead, we pass by The Peterhead Fishermen's Memorial

It is difficult to see at a distance

But interesting close up

It was funded by public subscription

and unveiled by Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal

Its unveiling was in 2001

We move from memorial art to street art and the Nuart Festival currently taking place in Aberdeen...

Developed in collaboration with Aberdeen Inspired and Aberdeen City Council, Nuart Aberdeen provides a platform for local, national and international artists to showcase their work through a series of site-specific murals, installations, interventions, and temporary exhibitions.

In the roof top garden we find a painted door

You will see a few painted doors in these posts - Painted Doors is a scheme which has seen artists brush up spaces around the city

It started in 2016

The we come across this...

#95839 - 04/16/18 02:53 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

#95840 - 04/17/18 02:33 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

I had not been up to Peterhead in a while so it was good to be back there sampling the sights and sounds...

On the Lido, looking back to the caravan site and the Scottish Maritime Academy beyond

A stony shore

A sandy shore (Puppet on a String?)

Washed up wood with animal-like features

Memorial to those killed in WWI

Meanwhile, back in Aberdeen we are on the Nuart trail...

Part of the view from the rooftop garden

As we move on past St Nicholas Kirk

We encounter these stained glass window works

and another painted door

#95842 - 04/18/18 02:50 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Visiting Peterhead during a run out in the van...

In the town centre, the benches as boats celebrate the town's maritime history

Similarly the fisher wife statue made of bronze of a fish-wife and little girl. Named 'Fisher Jessie', Fisher wives like Jessie would travel into the rural areas around the town hawking fish from their creels on their backs or exchanging it for agricultural produce, which they would carry in the basket.

Field-Marshal Keith was born at Inverugie Castle on the outskirts of Peterhead in 1696. . Of a prominent Jacobite family he took part in both the 1715 and 1719 risings following which he went into exile on the continent.Here he served as a mercenary in the armies of Spain, Russia and finally Prussia where Frederick the Great made him a Field-Marshal. He served with distinction in the 'Seven Years War'but was shot at Hochkirk in 1758.

The Peterhead granite plinth summarises this

Back in Aberdeen at the Nuart Festival, we are in Correction Wynd. Thus was the location of The House of Correction, founded in 1637 on the initiative of Provost Jaffray, stood nearby until 1711.

It provided lodging and employment in the cloth industry for vagrants and delinquents

We'll head through the tunnel under Union Street to The Green to view more art work

Edited by robbieroy (04/18/18 02:58 AM)

#95843 - 04/19/18 02:37 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are in The Green in Aberdeen looking at the Nuart 2018 exhibits...

A black and white offering

This has been much photographed

Cute

Interesting

Out and about in the van....

I went to Boddam after being in Peterhead to see how busy the harbour was.

Many of the boats were still on dry land

There was a slight swell

The tarry sheds were still locked up for the winter

Three boats were in the water

#95844 - 04/20/18 03:08 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are down by the harbour in Boddam...

Some of these boats will soon be going in the water as the lobster season starts

Looking towards the Buchanness Lighthouse

Back in Aberdeen we are on the Nuart trail. The festival took place from Thursday 12 – Sunday 15 April 2018 and was supplemented by a program of talks, presentations, film screenings, walking tours and workshops.

We are in The Green...

More painted doors and windows

One from 2017

Cruden Bay and Everyday Heroes...

#95845 - 04/21/18 03:17 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are down in The Green, following the Nuart 2018 trail. Aberdeen’s Historic Green and surroundings are amongst the oldest known parts of the city. The Green is one of 4 administrative medieval quarters recorded by 1399 and an important point of entry to the city. Religious and mercantile activity has underpinned the life and economics of the area over a 750 year period.

There was an interesting display in Rennie's Wynd at The Green. I'll not add any commentary as you should be able to read the descriptive information on the individual photographs....

More everyday heroes...

Edited by robbieroy (04/21/18 03:22 AM)

#95846 - 04/22/18 03:04 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We have had a warm spell of weather here for the last couple of days - it makes such a change. The cherry blossom is out and the daffodils are in full bloom.
I hope that you have had a good week wherever you are. What a turn around by Kim Jong-un in North Korea with the announcement that it is halting nuclear and missile tests. Not only that but there will be two anticipated summits with the US and South Korea.

Back in Aberdeen we are at The Green following the Nuart 2018 trail and we are currently looking at the Everyday Heroes exhibit...

The Green has been thought by some historians to represent an early nucleus of the Medieval Burgh of Aberdeen, while by the 13th century it supported 2 religious houses or Friaries. The main Carmelite Friary buildings lay just to north of the present site.

A work in progress

This weeks Sunday Snaps can be found here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43752029

Wishing you a great week ahead.

Cruden Bay and the work in progress revealed...

Edited by robbieroy (04/22/18 03:14 AM)

Page 144 of 168 < 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 167 168 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
seanmiles800, MikeRod1, Eustathius, Gypsy, Eduardo Rivas
7766 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SuePycroft
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 571 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments