Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 137 of 163 < 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 162 163 >
Topic Options
#95761 - 02/10/18 02:43 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
The Lampie Hoose (see photo above) has something of a history. At one time it was the Village Post Office, then it became the Village Library and finally to the present day it's known the Village Resource Centre where it is home to many and varied activities for local folk providing a warm social atmosphere for all ages and abilities.
The Lampie Hoose is in Gordon Square

There is an hourly bus service from Portgordon to Buckie

The Lampie Hoose is also the registered office of Portgordon Community Harbour Group who look after the harbour

The seafront houses

After being abandoned by the Crown Commissioners in 1947 the harbour became something of a haven for local boat owners. A number of craft moor within the confines of the harbour, several have been there for years and are a welcome sight

Being winter, most of the boats are out of the water

But a few remain

Information Source http://www.portgordonharbour.org.uk/

A coastal walk...

Edited by robbieroy (02/10/18 02:58 AM)

#95763 - 02/11/18 03:04 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I hope you have had a good week and a restful weekend. Now that January is just a memory, here in the northern hemisphere, there is more morning light a little bit earlier and a little more light in the evenings.
My movements have been a bit restricted due to the recurrence of a back problem but I did manage to get to see some of the Spectra light festival at the weekend. I'll post some pics in due course.

In the meantime, our travels have taken us to the Moray Coast to attend the Keswick in Buckie Winter Convention.

Todays post will centre on the coastal walk between Portgordon and Buckie...

A "tarry shed" and drying green on the edge of Portgordon

Wood for the winter

Looking east to Buckpool and Buckie

Looking back to Portgordon

The rocky shoreline

The Gollachy Ice House, dating from 19th century

A former salmon bothy

This week's Sunday Snaps can be found here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42915389

The walk continues...

Edited by robbieroy (02/11/18 03:12 AM)

#95764 - 02/12/18 03:08 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

The Keswick in Buckie Winter Convention only lasts for three days - Friday, Saturday and Sunday but it is worth the effort getting these and having a few days away - despite the cold!

We are walking between Portgordon and Buckie on the coastal path...

From previous entries, you may recall that this whole coastline was served by a railway line. Here is on of the old bridges across the line at Buckpool

A view from above the bridge over Buckpool with the sun shining on the former harbour

This is Yardie, a conservation area and former fishing community

Looing from Yardie to Buckpool Harbour

A weather-worn stone bench

Back in Portgordon

Oh dear! - this is why they take the boats out of the water in winter - sunk bt the sea storms

The beginnings of a colourful sunset

A colourful sunset and a change in weather...

#95765 - 02/13/18 02:46 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

As we come to the end of the three day road trip tp the Keswick in Buckie Winter Convention, we had a lovely sunset then some awful weather...

Sunset over Strathlene with Buckie in the distance

On Sunday afterneoon, the weather changed from blue skies to dark skies and it began to snow

By evening it had cleared up nut there was a covering of snow in the area. Next morning it was time to head home.

Back in town I met up with an old family friend for coffee. She was brought up with my mum in the same tenement block and the family remained firm friends for year. I visited the tenement block to see what remained...

The original entrance with the stone

The block in which they stayed (the new build sections to the left and right would not have been there)

The cobbled area would have been part of a "pen" or enclosed backyard

This is the nearby hall where she went to Sunday School

Getting set for Spectra 2018...

Edited by robbieroy (02/13/18 02:48 AM)

#95767 - 02/14/18 02:03 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

It was a beautiful day on the golf course last week with great views over the town

SPECTRA is a Festival of Light, which brightens up the winter evenings in Aberdeen's city centre. It is well supported by the public. It is one of a number of festivals

I went to see some of the locations in daylight before the festival began...

In the graveyard at St Nicholas Church

In Union Terrace Gardens

The light at night...

Edited by robbieroy (02/14/18 02:08 AM)

#95768 - 02/15/18 02:37 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

SPECTRA Aberdeen 2018
The was a lot of people visiting the event - more than in previous years. My idea was to quickly parachute in, take photos at each venue and then head off. That proved difficult as there were queues at most of the venues.

St Nicholas Kirk...

The writing on the wall

Octopus Garden

Story Telling Tents

More Octopus Garden

Edited by robbieroy (02/15/18 02:46 AM)

#95769 - 02/16/18 02:27 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

We are at Spectra 2018 the annual festival of light held in Aberdeen. We are currently come to the end of the installations in St Nicholas Kirkyard...

The Octopus Garden

The Sun at Night

Moving on to our second venue, Marischal College and Lightening Strikes...

Lightening bolts sped across the towers but I was sometimes too slow to catch them

Here we go

I'm getting the hang of this!

I must admit, that the crowds of people, my lack of patience and an aching back prevented me hanging around to see the other installations in the Marischal College so let's move on...

Edited by robbieroy (02/17/18 02:38 AM)

#95770 - 02/17/18 02:38 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Sadly, yet another shooting tragedy in the our broken world this week, with 17 victims needlessly losing their lives in the Florida school shooting incident in the USA. Our thoughts are with those who lost family, friends and loved ones.

I hope as you read this, you have had a good week and are being refreshed by the weekend and the opportunity to relax with friends or family or just on your own.

Despite the dark happenings in Florida, we are at the Spectra, the festival of light in Aberdeen...

It is time to leave the lightening bolts at Marischal College

with its illuminated exterior

On our way to Union Terrace Gardens, we pass by St Nicholas Kirkyard

and an unusual shop window presentation

In the distance, the lights of Union Terrace Gardens

It was busy! Looking carefully you can see the crowds winding their way round the exhibits

Edited by robbieroy (02/17/18 02:46 AM)

#95771 - 02/18/18 02:45 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

We continue our look at Aberdeen's festival of light - Spectra 2018. We are in our final location, Union Terrace Gardens...

Touch Me - an interactive installation

UV Installation

Superluminal

Parabola2

The theatre above the gardens was also lit up with scrolling images and text

The festival was very well supported by the public, in fact too busy and would benefit from an extra night of exhibitions.

This week's Sunday Snaps can be found here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43003001

Sole Mates...

Edited by robbieroy (02/18/18 02:52 AM)

#95772 - 02/19/18 02:52 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Sole Mates is our small walking group for our church. We try to get out for a walk and cake and coffee once a month. I'm not sure what is more important - the cake and coffee or the walking!

This month we met at Hazlehead Park

and went for a circular woodland walk

The weather was fine

Sunny

but cold

The track is well defined

as it cuts through the pine trees

and passes by the two golf courses

Edited by robbieroy (02/19/18 08:12 AM)

Page 137 of 163 < 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 162 163 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
seanmiles800, MikeRod1, Eustathius, Gypsy, Eduardo Rivas
7766 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Magnus
Who's Online
1 registered (Rodolfo), 625 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments