Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 128 of 129 < 1 2 126 127 128 129 >
Topic Options
#95670 - 12/05/17 02:36 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Online   content
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
The area is very scenic with lots of rolling hills and farmland.

Nearby is Bennachie where, in bygone days, people have lived in a fort carved into the hill top, and in radical farming settlements on its slopes.

The area we are in is called the Back of Bennachie

It is here we find the village of Rhynie

The Square

with its war memorial

and church

The church is clearly well looked after

It was built in the early 1820s

The tower was added some time later

The main street

The Rhynie Man...

Edited by robbieroy (12/05/17 02:42 AM)

#95671 - 12/06/17 02:00 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are in the village of Rhynie in Aberdeenshre...

May have been a coach house in bygone days

A ruined church

It is a narrow village, the countryside is never far away

The Rhynie Man is a cartoon-like depiction, over a metre high, of a man carrying an axe, beautifully carved on a gabbro slab. The slab, itself 1.78m high, was uncovered during ploughing at Barflat, just to the south of Rhynie in Aberdeenshire, in 1978.

Today you find the Rhynie Man standing in the reception area of Woodhill House, the headquarters of Aberdeenshire Council, on the edge of Aberdeen. He can be visited - if you can find somewhere to park - during normal office opening hours.

Rhynie Man is very unusual indeed. Very few carvings of figures have been found dating back to the Pictish period. One consequence of this is that there is very little with which to compare Rhynie Man and the stone he is carved on: and this in turn makes dating him extremely difficult. The absence of even a vague idea of a date makes it very difficult to agree what the stone actually depicts.

But there are no shortage of theories. The stone could date to any time between the 500s and the 800s. If it is of an early date, then Rhynie Man could be a depiction of the Celtic God Esus, who the Picts' predecessors, the Celts, depicted as a woodman with an axe (and to whom they sacrificed victims who they strung up from trees). Alternatively, if the stone is of a later date, it could represent a Pictish King or a figure from legend, or even St Matthew.

Whoever the figure is intended to represent, he has a disproportionately large head complete with a distinctive haircut, beaked nose, pointed teeth and a long beard. He is wearing a tunic belted at the waist. It has been suggested that the very thin shaft of the axe Rhynie Man is carrying means it is intended for ceremonial purposes rather than as a weapon or a tool.

Information Source https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/aberdeen/rhynieman/index.

Our next destination is Forres on the Moray Coast...

#95672 - 12/07/17 01:57 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Forres is situated in Moray, about 27 miles north east of the Highland capital of Inverness.

This is the Tollbooth

It has been claimed that Forres first appears, as Varis, on a map drawn by Ptolemy two thousand years ago.

The Mercat Cross

A Royal Burgh since 1140, Forres is one of Scotland's oldest towns, and also one of its most attractive.

A thousand years ago, Forres was home to a castle, located at the west end of the High Street. This was further strengthened to become a royal residence in the 1100s.

Nothing now remains of Forres Castle and its site is a public park

It was a pleasant day to wander around the High Street

#95673 - 12/07/17 01:59 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Information Source https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/forres/forres/index.html

The next day - this....

Edited by robbieroy (12/07/17 02:00 AM)

#95674 - 12/07/17 06:52 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

I forgot to mention Storm Caroline - it is heading for Western, Northern and North East Scotland. Very high winds in excess of 90mph are expected today and snow tomorrow.
At present the winds are very strong here in Aberdeen. Rail and ferry transport has also been disrupted.
See here for more details http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42256808

I'll update with tomorrow's post...

#95675 - 12/08/17 02:15 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Caroline update...
The winds continued to blow stronger and stronger yesterday causing bins and other things that not fastened down to blow over. At points it was quite difficult to walk. The weather began to change as the blue skies were replaced by dark clouds then the rain and sleet started and it became cold. The it died out!
As I looked out this morning, the snow had arrived. More later but you can read an update here on the effects around the country http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-42274328

#95676 - 12/08/17 02:23 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Back to the road trip to the Moray Coast. I was staying in Forres for a couple of days and we had planned to visit Pluscarden Abbey and then Lossiemouth.

But, next morning I awoke to this...

Snow!

The garden had a Christmas look to it

as did the High Street

and the park

This could be a Christmas card scene

Our plans to go to Pluscarden Abbey deep in the countryside were put on hold because of the weather.

A winter Wonderland..

#95677 - 12/08/17 12:33 PM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Post-Caroline Update...

Last night's sky after the storm

The snow that was forecast arrived overnight. It was a snowy scene this morning as I walked to town.

#95678 - Yesterday at 03:18 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

This weekend, our thoughts should be with those affected by the fires in California. Homes, business and farmland have all been destroyed. It is a shame to see violence on the increase in Gaza again, all because of one man's comments.

It is good to get away from all the bad news and appreciate all the beauty that has been provided for us...

We are still in Forres and enjoying a morning walk in a winter wonderland that is part of the Sanquhar Woodlands

Sanquhar Loch

It is on the course of the Burn of Mosset

It was a scenic stroll in some bonnie woodland surrounding the loch

The Burn of Mosset

A wooden bridge over the burn

Update...
The snow is still with us with more forecast today and tomorrow. Even now, as a looked out, there is a heavy morning downfall.

A new station and a trip to Burghead...

Edited by robbieroy (Yesterday at 03:26 AM)

#95679 - Yesterday at 02:27 PM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

The snow showers continued intermittently throughout the day today. I took these on a walk to town...

Back to the road trip...

Page 128 of 129 < 1 2 126 127 128 129 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
CandianInSpain, b_zzzt, mariahbay, JaneJ, traveljournal50
7744 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SuePycroft
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 603 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

[greatMadridHotels.com]
[greatBarcelonaHotels.com]
Discounts on Madrid Hotels, Barcelona Hotels & Throughout Spain!

Other Martin Media Websites: GreatMadridHotels.com Hoteles-en-Madrid.com GreatBarcelonaHotels.com Hoteles-Barcelona.eu GreatSevilleHotels.com Hoteles-en-Sevilla.com GreatSpainHotels.com Avila Hotels Burgos Hotels Chipiona Hotels Cuenca Hotels Granada Hotels Huesca Hotels Jerez Hotels Oviedo Hotels Pamplona Hotels Ronda Hotels San Sebastian Hotels Santander Hotels Santiago De Compostela Hotels Segovia Hotels Valladolid Hotels Vitoria Hotels Zaragoza Hotels Spain Hostels Hostales BarcelonaMan.com BilbaoMan.com CadizMan.com CordobaMan.com GranadaMan.com MadridMan.com SantanderMan.com SantiagoMan.com SegoviaMan.com SevilleMan.com ToledoMan.com ValenciaMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Paseo del Prado El Faro de Moncloa Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments