Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#9559 - 07/23/00 11:33 AM rent a car prices
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I just rented a car in Spain for the first time in my 25 years of going there (yes, I started as a teen!)... I don't drive standard, so it was automatic. I used the AAA rate with Hertz, picked it up on the Gran Via, had no hassles at all either driving or with the car. The gas was expensive, but it is here, too! Cost me $350 for two weeks for the rental. Was this a good, bad, or average deal? Suggestions for future rentals? Thanks! PS, a hint. If you drive a rental car to towns of any size, get to your lodging, park it, lock it (with NO valuables inside), and walk or take public transport in town. You'll be glad you did! The few times I tried to park in Salamanca, Cuenca etc. I discovered how frustrating that can be.
rgf

#9560 - 07/23/00 04:45 PM Re: rent a car prices
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I wouldn't suggest renting a car in Spain unless you plan to visit small villages or you are in a hurry.

But if you do, you may want to try Easy Rent A Car ( http://www.easyrentacar.com ). Note that they only have Mercedes class A and I guess they are not automatic. However, they claim to offer the cheapest prices ever (its counterpart Easyjet has great deals to fly from Spain to the UK).

Regards,

Antonio

PS: Currently Easyrentacar is only in Barcelona and Malaga but at their website they say they will open a site in Madrid during summer 2000.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-24-2000).]

#9561 - 07/23/00 06:43 PM Re: rent a car prices
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Gracias, Antonio. Eres majisimo con todas tus respuestas a gringos despistados. ;-)

I don't recommend renting a car either, espec. for a first time visit to Spain-- too much hassle. But for my parador tour through Extremadura, there really was no option, and I was pleased. Next time I'll check out that Mercedes.
PS, I saw lots of espanyoles in shorts in madrid, but dressy ones, with loafers, and during the day. The white sneakers are the tourist giveaway! Get out the casual shoes and save the sneeks for hikes. rgf
P.S.: just checked the website for the car rental Antonio recommends. SOUNDS HORRIBLE! NO refunds after you make a reservation; extra charges all over the place; limited kilometers; NO CHOICE of transmission: PLUS, all their cars have STICKERS that announce they are a rent-a-car company! great. Even better chance of having the car broken in to. Nah, stick with the major U.S. corps. and negotiate a good deal stateside....

[This message has been edited by rgf (edited 07-28-2000).]

#9562 - 07/28/00 12:22 PM Re: rent a car prices
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, rgf,

I think you got a good deal. My parents go to Spain at least once a year, and they always rent a car. (They stay in a house on the coast, and they really need it!) They rented from a different place this summer (a local place in the Costa Brava region), and thought they got an excellent rate. It came to $24 a day, close to what you paid. This rate included a special family discount, because they knew people. So it seems to me that your AAA rate with Hertz was a good one.

#9563 - 07/28/00 02:26 PM Re: rent a car prices
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the feedback, Diana. Avis actually gave me a better deal by $50 but were stricter about the return time/date. Hertz floated me a day.

#9564 - 07/28/00 03:15 PM Re: rent a car prices
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I've used the AVIS rental on Gran Via for the last couple of years - a mid-sized Opal and about $130 for 12 days plus, of course, gas. That price applies before the summer visitor season - you would need to check it for peak times of the year. That size car is perfect for the freeways and small enough to manage the narrowest of streets. This AVIS has always been most reliable.
I agree - only get a car if you want to go to out-of-the way places - when you get to a city you'll need to stay somewhere with a garage or some form of secured parking. FYI- to get out of/into Madrid you will need a better map than the one AVIS supplies - use the one they give you when landing - or is Iberia the only airline to do this?

#9565 - 08/01/00 12:56 PM Re: rent a car prices
dmcdougle Offline

Olla, we just got back from three weeks in Spaion and rented an Avis car for two weeks at $210 through AutoEurope. Negotiating the cities is tricky, you need good city maps and parking will run you from $10 to $15 per day. However, we found it well worth it in convenience and the abilith to visit the mountain and rural areas of Spain. Oh, the Sanish are great drivers! Seriously! They are wonderful drivers.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments