Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 121 of 123 < 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 >
Topic Options
#95578 - 10/03/17 02:52 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Online   content
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
I thought you might like to see some photos of a recent wedding in our recently refurbished church...

Getting ready

Here comes the bride

Let the ceremony begin

The bride in her third generation wedding dress

The rings

The signing

The exit

Getting ready for the road trip...

#95584 - 10/04/17 02:30 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

As part of getting the van ready for a trip, I took it out on a run to Cruden Bay and topped up the petrol and water tanks.

It was almost a wintery scene at Cruden Bay...

The low sun on the harbour water

Looking across the swell to the beach

There was a few folks parked up at the harbour

I was surprised to see that there were boats moored in the harbour

I headed to Boddam...

First stop Broughty Ferry...

Edited by robbieroy (10/05/17 01:57 AM)

#95585 - 10/05/17 02:14 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Although I had been in this area of North East Scotland before, I had never visited Broughty Ferry.

It is a pleasant suburb four miles east of Dundee with a good selection of pubs and restaurants

The beach

The small harbour

The striking Broughty Castle and Museum, right by the seashore is well worth a visit.

Built in the 15th century to protect the estuary, its four floors now house local-history exhibits

The exhibition is about the story of Broughty Ferry as a fishing village and the history of whaling, as well as details of local geology and wildlife.

#95586 - 10/06/17 02:18 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

An interesting stone near Broughty Castle

The castle

And its ramparts

And guns

Gun placements

With commanding views

A great view over the River Tay

#95588 - 10/07/17 02:54 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

The drawbridge mechanism at Broughty Castle

The castle from a distance

Broughty Ferry High Street has an old-world feel to it. You'll see what I mean from the pictures...

Birdies, but not on the golf course...

#95590 - 10/08/17 03:36 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Saw this couple feeding a friendly swan

Talking of birdies, it was time to visit Carnoustie, the venue for this year's Alfred Dunhill Links Championship...

Looking to the 18th green

The empty leader board

The Barry Burn

The afternoon and evening were spent at Monifieth

If your are in the path of hurricane Nate then stay safe. If you have been affected by it the I hope you are OK. Wherever you are I hope that toy have had a peaceful weekend.

The Sunday Snaps van be viewed here.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41441608

A day in Dundee...

#95591 - 10/09/17 02:06 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Still at Carousitie Golf Course...

Looking down the Barry Burn to the 18th green and famous hotel

A great view from two

In the town itself. I came across this

and this

The war memorial and gardens

I decided to take the bus from Carnoustie to Dundee...

We passed through the village of Barry

The rolling countryside

Many years ago, I used to be a frequent visitor to Dundee on work-related matters. Although I have driven through it many times since then as I head south and then back home, I have not actually stopped of to visit the city centre. Being in the area for a few days provided the ideal opportunity...

Edited by robbieroy (10/09/17 02:13 AM)

#95593 - 10/10/17 03:08 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Officially known as the City of Dundee, it is Scotland's fourth-largest city. It gets its name from Scottish Gaelic: "Dùn Dè". I was in the area for the Alfred Dunhill Links Championships.

As I mentioned previously, it is some time since I have been in the city. The thing that struck me was that rather than knock down their old buildings and replace them with concrete and glass structures, they have refurbished them. You will see what I mean from the photos...

Arriving in Dundee...

An old savings bank

A (dark) view to the River Tay. Recently built riverside residences. Being on the River Tay, the city established itself as an important east coast trading port in the 12th Century.

One of the parish churches

Rapid expansion was brought on by the Industrial Revolution, particularly in the 19th century when Dundee was the centre of the global jute industry.

There were even some art deco buildings like these

An some narrow lanes from Victorian times

Edited by robbieroy (10/10/17 03:11 AM)

#95595 - 10/11/17 02:11 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

A visit to Dundee was part of this latest road trip.

An unusual coffee kiosk

Difficult to work out what it is from this angle

That's better!

I was struck by its architecture

He rose to admiral

See http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usbiography/d/adamduncan.html for information about him.

Edited by robbieroy (10/11/17 02:12 AM)

#95599 - 10/11/17 11:49 PM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Here is a bit more architecture from Dundee city centre.

Dundee is Scotland's fourth-largest city and lies on the north bank of the Tay estuary.

A city with an ancient history, Dundee has had to rebuild and reinvent itself three times in the last 350 years.

Dundee's origins seem rather hazy, but by 1180 a town was well established on the north bank of the Tay here, and in the 1200s a small harbour was built.

In 1239 a school was established in Dundee, with an early pupil being William Wallace. Wallace returned in 1297 to capture Dundee Castle, built on Black Rock, just to the west of the end of the modern Tay Road Bridge.

The 1300s and 1400s saw the steady growth of Dundee, fuelled largely by trade with Baltic ports. Town walls were built in 1545, but they did little to protect Dundee from the English fleet, who bombarded the town in 1547, destroying much of it.

During the Civil War. General Monck, commanding Cromwell's forces in Scotland, captured Dundee on 1 September 1651, and his troops pillaged the town, killing up to 2,000 of Dundee's 12,000 inhabitants. Most of Dundee was destroyed in the process, as were 60 of the ships owned by the town's merchants.

It took a century for Dundee to rebuild and recover, and its population in 1755 was little more than it had been in 1651.

The second half of the 1700s saw the city start to grow again, and the population more than doubled as imported flax started to fuel a linen industry. Meanwhile the harbour was improved, and four whaling ships began to operate from Dundee.

The city is known for being built on "Jute, Jam and Journalism". 1797 saw James Keiller & Son set up a jam factory in Dundee, while in 1801 the Dundee, Perth and Cupar Advertiser was established.

By 1835 Dundee had 36 steam powered flax spinning mills, employing a significant proportion of the 40,000 population

(Information Source: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/dundee/dundee/index.html)

Page 121 of 123 < 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
CandianInSpain, b_zzzt, mariahbay, JaneJ, traveljournal50
7744 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ripudaman
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 603 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

[greatMadridHotels.com]
[greatBarcelonaHotels.com]
Discounts on Madrid Hotels, Barcelona Hotels & Throughout Spain!

Other Martin Media Websites: GreatMadridHotels.com Hoteles-en-Madrid.com GreatBarcelonaHotels.com Hoteles-Barcelona.eu GreatSevilleHotels.com Hoteles-en-Sevilla.com GreatSpainHotels.com Avila Hotels Burgos Hotels Chipiona Hotels Cuenca Hotels Granada Hotels Huesca Hotels Jerez Hotels Oviedo Hotels Pamplona Hotels Ronda Hotels San Sebastian Hotels Santander Hotels Santiago De Compostela Hotels Segovia Hotels Valladolid Hotels Vitoria Hotels Zaragoza Hotels Spain Hostels Hostales BarcelonaMan.com BilbaoMan.com CadizMan.com CordobaMan.com GranadaMan.com MadridMan.com SantanderMan.com SantiagoMan.com SegoviaMan.com SevilleMan.com ToledoMan.com ValenciaMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Paseo del Prado El Faro de Moncloa Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments