MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95559 - 09/21/17 06:50 AM Re: Returning to Spain, again n S [Re: admiral44]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
We spent several nights in Ábalos, staying first at a winery and then at a small hotel in town. Both were excellent. The tour of the winery, by the owner, and then later tasting the wine with himself and the family was a fun and interesting experience. Chatting with the family was a test of my rudimentary Spanish, but helped improve it as well.

We spent a day in Haro, tasting wine, having a great lunch, and walking about. Sadly, the restaurant I wanted to dine in was closed. Well, another reason to return in the future.

Visited the little towns dotting the hills of La Rioja. Each one has a highlight. Laguardia stands out as do the villages nearby. They're getting an impressive food scene in this area. Hope it lasts.

Drove to Logroño for a tapas supper on the famous street there. Food was good if a bit harried. Easy parking nearby.

More to come.

#95560 - 09/21/17 01:51 PM Re: Returning to Spain, again n S [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
It happens all the time, we plan and when there either close or no time. There is always next time indeed.

That is a very good wine area, the best known in Spain. thanks for the update always good to read about Spain ::)

#95563 - 09/21/17 04:37 PM Re: Returning to Spain, again n S [Re: admiral44]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Pedmar,

The wine in La Rioja is, indeed, very good. The best part about being in a particular region is you have the option of enjoying all the different wines that may not be available in your home country or even home town. As mentioned , the place we stayed had their own wines and then the second hotel, the owner there had his own wine as well. Plus, at the restaurants they have particular relationships with local producers. Only wish I had more time and could try more wines. All good.

We did learn about the changing tastes of the customer, how the younger wines are now favoured, or at least trending that way. And less white from La Rioja then in the old days. But I like the white wine from La Rioja.

Anyway, on we go.

#95570 - 09/25/17 12:46 PM Re: Returning to Spain, again n S [Re: admiral44]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

After several days in La Rioja, and having enough wine to float a battleship, we drove north, going to Olite to see the castle there. Very nice old town and the castle has been restored to a beautiful condition. Visitor are permitted to walk to the highest towers and the view is marvelous.

For lunch we ate at what in the USA would be considered a "truck stop." I like to try these places while driving in Spain because they are filled with regular, working folks, and often times the food is a good value. This place was spot on. Great food really for 11 Euros menu of the day including the big bottle of water, wine, and dessert. People watching her fun, too. Spoke with a few drivers who were headed to Madrid.

From there we drove to San Sebastián and will post about that next.

Saludos.

#95580 - 10/03/17 01:08 PM Re: Returning to Spain, again n S [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Seems like a good trip, glad you enjoy it. all these places are nice, I love castles Olite included
Cheers

#95589 - 10/07/17 02:01 PM Re: Returning to Spain, again n S [Re: admiral44]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

We arrived in San Sebastian, where I spent a big part of my budget for a very nice hotel. It was worth it. Excellent room. Good location. We walked into the old part of town to do the epic pinxtos thing there. I have to say, it was very very good food. Very creative some of the places. Also has a unique vibe. (Secretly, however, I prefer Cava Baja in Madrid). We sampled tapas and pinxtos at many places as well as some wine and other drinks. It was a bit chilly so the beach area was limited to some hardcore surfer types.

The next morning we drove across to Hendaye, France, and checked out the Chateau d'Abbadia. Interesting place built by a chap in the mid 1800's. He had his own telescope and made many observations. Great view from his cliffside castle, too. Was good to cross the border, hear another language, and see a few things.

Returned to San Sebastian for more food pleasure. And good sleep at the fancy hotel.

#95597 - 10/11/17 01:26 PM Re: Returning to Spain, again n S [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

San Sebastian is great , good of you to visit it. Hendaye well is one of my routes into France especially when vacation with the family in Lacanau , Médoc, Bordeaux region.

Enjoy the trip; mine are on hold until the New Year.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
CandianInSpain, b_zzzt, mariahbay, JaneJ, traveljournal50
7744 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SuePycroft
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 603 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

[greatMadridHotels.com]
[greatBarcelonaHotels.com]
Discounts on Madrid Hotels, Barcelona Hotels & Throughout Spain!

Other Martin Media Websites: GreatMadridHotels.com Hoteles-en-Madrid.com GreatBarcelonaHotels.com Hoteles-Barcelona.eu GreatSevilleHotels.com Hoteles-en-Sevilla.com GreatSpainHotels.com Avila Hotels Burgos Hotels Chipiona Hotels Cuenca Hotels Granada Hotels Huesca Hotels Jerez Hotels Oviedo Hotels Pamplona Hotels Ronda Hotels San Sebastian Hotels Santander Hotels Santiago De Compostela Hotels Segovia Hotels Valladolid Hotels Vitoria Hotels Zaragoza Hotels Spain Hostels Hostales BarcelonaMan.com BilbaoMan.com CadizMan.com CordobaMan.com GranadaMan.com MadridMan.com SantanderMan.com SantiagoMan.com SegoviaMan.com SevilleMan.com ToledoMan.com ValenciaMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Paseo del Prado El Faro de Moncloa Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments