Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 101 of 123 < 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 122 123 >
Topic Options
#95338 - 04/19/17 01:52 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Online   content
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
The corridors are long

and secure

Some prisoners found work in the laundry

The "reception"

The showers

The reality of D hall

Corporal punishment...

#95339 - 04/20/17 02:24 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Until the opening of Peterhead Convict Prison, Scots convicts were transported to England to serve their sentences. The first convicts were received in August 1888.

The "governor's" office

As previously mentioned, Peterhead Prison supplied the labour force to work in Stirlinghill Quarry and in the Admiralty Yard attached to the prison. These convicts supported the work of a civilian labour force employed by the Admiralty to construct the Harbour of Refuge breakwater.

For some, it would have broken the monotony of cell life

For those who broke the rules, there was isolation and a removal of comforts

For the worst offenders, there was corporal punishment with the cat o' nine tails

Communications were restricted

as were sanitary facilities

and exercise facilities

Solitary confinement...

Edited by robbieroy (04/20/17 02:37 AM)

#95341 - 04/21/17 02:12 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Exclusion from the company of others in solitary confinement was always a possibility for misbehaviour or other reasons.

One inmate, was only released back into the prison population after two years in 'segregation' in a cell such as this

One murderer was in solitary confinement in Peterhead prison for 26 years.

This corridor leads to the medical block and a "private suite"

dental surgery

pharmacy

The private suite - no details of who was kept here have been released

facilities were basic

the prisoner was monitored 24/7

and had no contact with other prisoners

Making an escape...

#95342 - 04/22/17 02:49 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

It is time for us to make our escape by finishing the tour of the prison...

it was definitely warmer outside than inside

This is the visitor centre from which the sour starts and finishes

and this is the view towards Peterhead from near the prison

I headed to Cruden Bay again but it was still too windy for fishing

and later in the day, I ended up at Boddam

We were blessed with a bonnie morning

#95343 - 04/23/17 02:54 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

For those of you who like Galician wines, I can recommend this one. It is from the Albariño grape.

The rocky shoreline at Boddam

The quiet harbour

with its clear waters

Back in town, spring is really evident now...

Here is the link to this weeks Sunday Snaps http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39588785

Coming up....
Ballater, Balmoral and a long, long hill walk....

#95344 - 04/24/17 02:34 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

I had been planning to head to Royal Deeside in the Cairngorms National Park a couple of weeks ago but that did not happen, so when the opportunity arose again, I headed off to spend Easter Weekend at Ballater and Balmoral (the residence of the Queen when she is in Scotland).

Ballater sits on the River Dee

Ballater is a centre for hikers

The medieval pattern of development along this reach of the River Dee was influenced by the ancient trackways across the Grampian Mounth, which determined strategic locations of castles and other Deeside settlements of the Middle Ages.

In the early 14th century, the area was part of the estates of the Knights of St John, but the settlement did not develop until around 1770; first as a spa resort to accommodate visitors to the Pananich Mineral Well, then later upon the arrival of the railway in 1866 it was visited by many tourists taking advantage of the easier access thus afforded.
(Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballater)

A walk around town...

Edited by robbieroy (04/24/17 02:42 AM)

#95345 - 04/25/17 02:42 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Ballater has a Royal connection - Balmoral Castle, the British Royal Family's holiday home, lies approximately 8 miles west.

The Royal Family has visited the town frequently since the time of Queen Victoria.

Victoria Barracks is used by the Royal Guard for the castle.

A church in a former life

Ballater is surrounded by hills

A water fountain with a backdrop

The town has some fine residences with dramatic views of the surrounding countryside

Down by the river...

#95347 - 04/26/17 02:00 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

I found a great spot to park up down by the river

It lacked a mobile signal though

The River Dee

It is possible to walk along the riverside here

The Seven Bridges Walk
There is a waymarked circular walk that explores some of the fine countryside around the town of Ballater. The route described includes an optional detour to the ruins of a sixteenth century tower house.
See https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/seven-bridges.shtml

Here are some more fine residences that I spotted on my walk around Ballater

Hillwalking - From Balmoral Castle to Loch Muick...

Edited by robbieroy (04/26/17 02:05 AM)

#95349 - 04/27/17 02:25 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

It was good to spend a couple of nights in Ballater, with the chance of a full day to walk and explore the small town, set in the heart of Royal Deeside.

The area around Braemar and Ballater is known as Royal Deeside by some people, and that usage had been encouraged by the tourist trade.

Since the reign of Queen Victoria the British Royal Family have spent their summers at Balmoral Castle.

(This is NOT an image of the castle)

Every year they attend the Braemar Highland Gathering and other local events. Birkhall, previously owned by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, is now a favourite retreat of Prince Charles.

(Information Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Dee,_Aberdeenshire )

The hill wall...

A friend collected me in Ballater for the short trip to the carpark at Easter Balmoral where the walk was to begin. Here is the route...

The first leg or outward journey was from Easter Balmoral car park to Loch Muick, a 3hr 12min walk (the blue trail above) and the return was to be a 3h 56min walk passing by the side of Lochnagar and back to the car park (the grey trail above)

Setting off

The bridge itself is of interest

It crossed the River Dee

and leads to a lodge where the ticket office for entry into Balmoral is located

It was a long walk and there are lots of photographs ranging from lush green parkland to barren moors, hills and mountain ranges.
So, join us on the walk to see some of the sights of the Scottish Highlands and the Cairngorm National Park...

#95350 - 04/28/17 12:55 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

The first part of our walk to Loch Muick takes us through the green and pleasant land that adjoins the Queen's Estate at Balmoral.

Did you know she has her own golf course?

It is a nine hole / eighteen tee private parkland golf course

A round of golf starts from the club cabin where there are changing rooms, toilets and parking for your convenience. The course meanders its way around cairns and monuments from Queen Victoria's reign and continues beside the magnificent River Dee.

The cost is £200 for up to four players per tee time.

Highland cattle near the course

Royal Lochnagar distillery is situated on the south side of the River Dee close to Balmoral Castle. Age old traditions and craftmanship produce one of Scotland's most exclusive whiskies

The cost of a tour is £8.00

and nearby...

The lodge has quite a view

The changing scenery...

Edited by robbieroy (04/28/17 01:59 PM)

Page 101 of 123 < 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 122 123 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
CandianInSpain, b_zzzt, mariahbay, JaneJ, traveljournal50
7744 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ripudaman
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 603 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

[greatMadridHotels.com]
[greatBarcelonaHotels.com]
Discounts on Madrid Hotels, Barcelona Hotels & Throughout Spain!

Other Martin Media Websites: GreatMadridHotels.com Hoteles-en-Madrid.com GreatBarcelonaHotels.com Hoteles-Barcelona.eu GreatSevilleHotels.com Hoteles-en-Sevilla.com GreatSpainHotels.com Avila Hotels Burgos Hotels Chipiona Hotels Cuenca Hotels Granada Hotels Huesca Hotels Jerez Hotels Oviedo Hotels Pamplona Hotels Ronda Hotels San Sebastian Hotels Santander Hotels Santiago De Compostela Hotels Segovia Hotels Valladolid Hotels Vitoria Hotels Zaragoza Hotels Spain Hostels Hostales BarcelonaMan.com BilbaoMan.com CadizMan.com CordobaMan.com GranadaMan.com MadridMan.com SantanderMan.com SantiagoMan.com SegoviaMan.com SevilleMan.com ToledoMan.com ValenciaMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Paseo del Prado El Faro de Moncloa Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments