Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 97 of 102 < 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 101 102 >
Topic Options
#95290 - 03/16/17 03:34 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Online   content
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Our next bit of "looking up" comes from Schoolhill in the heart of the city. There are many fine buildings there and as the name suggests, education featured in its past.

These urns feature a lot and I'm mot sure why

Notice the date.

School, scriptures and shows....

#95291 - 03/17/17 03:02 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Intricate detail on top of this building - note the urns again!

Superb symmetry and possibly a bit of masonic decoration?

Let me apologise in advance for the next three images - I think I clumsily and unintentionally changed the shutter speed on my phone camera, hence the blurring of the images. I'll post them anyway...

My old school building

Robert Gordon's University building

The entrance to Robert Gordon's College with a stature of Robert Gordon in the foreground

What we see now is a beautiful block of buildings - the theatre, St Mark's Church and the Central Library...

The shows go on here in His Majesty's Theatre, opened in 1906.

It was originally built as a replacement for the city’s Her Majesty’s Theatre (now known as the Tivoli Theatre) in response to the need for a larger venue, improved refreshments areas, better comfort for patrons and more appropriate staging facilities.

The scriptures are read here in St Mark's Church

Edited by robbieroy (03/17/17 03:16 AM)

#95292 - 03/18/17 03:22 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We are continuing to look up at buildings and the ornate features that we often miss.

St Mark's was opened in 1892 , designed by A Marshall Mackenzie and featuring a giant portico surmounted by a drum and high dome, modelled on St Paul’s Cathedral.

Next to St Mark's is the Central Library. It was opened 5 July 1892

Granite residences on Rosemount

Great symmetry

#95293 - 03/19/17 04:03 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Finally, our last look up in this area of the town...

The Rosemount Viaduct bridge

Notice the date

I took these on the golf course on Friday...

Town and bay

Sea and sky

Length and lighthouse

Greens and gorse

I promised some photographs of the interior of St Machar's Cathedral a couple of month ago but the building was closed.
I had the ideal opportunity this weekend to go there again with visitors...

There were Jazz musicians warming up for an event

I hope everyone has been have a good weekend as the weather warms up and the days get longer. Here in the Sunday Snaps link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39230047

Having visitors meant that it was an ideal opportunity to get out and about. Would you join us we stroll through Seaton Park, sneak into the secret garden and spot seals at the Brig O' Balgownie.

Wishing everyone a great week ahead.

#95294 - 03/20/17 03:19 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

We'll continue our short look around the interior of St Machar Cathedral before heading to Seaton Park.

I would recommend clicking on each image to enarge it to appreciate the scene all the more...

Tombs

and organ pipes

Stained glass windows

The ornate wooden roof

ancient artefacts

You can find our more about the building and take a virtual tour of the interior here http://www.stmachar.com/buildinghistory.htm

Let's leave the church, take a few steps away from the graveyard to the park....

A magnificent view

and a splash of colour

as we look back to the Cathedral

from the well-tended gardens

as we make our way to the secret garden....

#95295 - 03/21/17 03:56 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Someone said
Take the path to the right from the main gate on Don Street and it leads uphill into a hidden walled garden (The old kitchen garden). During May, these 3 small secret gardens are full of colour with glorious azaleas, magnolias and lilies.

(Source https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe..._Scotland.html#)

We are on that path to the garden where we pass a well

and past the flowering daffodils, we can see the wall of the garden

Let's walk round the garden...

The garden was a kitchen garden next to a stable block

It is in three sections

The guardian of the garden

The daffodils remind us that spring is here

As we head to the Brig O' Balgownie...

Edited by robbieroy (03/21/17 10:42 AM)

#95298 - 03/22/17 03:24 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

A short but pleasant circular walk, starting at the Bridge of Don via the Cottown of Balgownie and the Brig O' Balgownie and back to the Bridge of Don...

Our starting and finishing point, the Bridge of Don

Looking through the branches to the river Don and the Brig O' Balgownie in the distance

A lone seal on the banks of the Don

The rest of the colony

Looking back to the Bridge of Don

It's a bonnie bridge - the Brig O' Balgownie. It is a 13th-century bridge spanning the River Don in Old Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland. Construction of the bridge was begun in the late 13th century by Richard Cementarius, although its completion was not until 1320 at the time of the Scottish War of Independence

It is peaceful here

A bench with a view

and what a view!

Cottown of Balgownie...

#95300 - 03/23/17 03:06 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Our thoughts go out to friends and families of those who lost their lives or have been injured or affected by the recent terrorist attack in London. May something good come out of this.

If I had to decide on three short walks in and around Aberdeoen for visitors then this would be one of them as it had great scenery, a bit of history, some wildlife and peace and quiet and far removed from the trouble and strife in the world,.

As we approach Cottown of Balgownie, we get a better view of the Brig

Picturesque

Steeped in history

with sympathetic restoration

a unique community

in a unique location

The cobbled streets of Cottown lead to the Brig....

Edited by robbieroy (03/23/17 03:12 AM)

#95301 - 03/24/17 03:41 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Construction began in the late 1200's and the Bridge was completed by 1320. It is thought to have been commissioned by Bishop Cheyne or Robert the Bruce. It was renovated in 1605 and replaced in 1830 by another bridge 500 yards downstream. It provided an important link to the north-east of Scotland.

The Auld Brig o' Balgownie, crosses the Don, 2½ miles N by W of Castle Street. A single Gothic arch, narrow and steep, of 67 feet span and 34½ high above the black deep salmon pool below, it is commemorated by Byron in Don Juan, where a note records how a dread prediction made him pause to cross it, and yet lean over it with a childish delight.

More images of the Brig can be found here http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93795#Post93795

Part of Cottown from the Brig

A former resident in bygone times?

A small waterfall viewed from the Brig

One of the walls of the Brig

Looking downstream

Looking upstream

Cottown Cottages...

#95302 - 03/25/17 09:09 AM Re: My Travels in North East Scotland [Re: robbieroy]
Executive Member

Just by the bridge, this well and trough may have been a watering station for horses

As we head back to the Bridge of Don, we come across more quaint Cottown cottages.

Carefully restored and well-maintained

They are pleasant on the eye

with their front gardens

and potted plants

Back at the Bridge of Don, this is the view boack to the Brig

and then, on the other side, down to the sea

Page 97 of 102 < 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 101 102 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
b_zzzt, mariahbay, traveljournal50, DavefromRI, Steffi
7742 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 649 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

[greatMadridHotels.com]
[greatBarcelonaHotels.com]
Discounts on Madrid Hotels, Barcelona Hotels & Throughout Spain!

Other Martin Media Websites: GreatMadridHotels.com Hoteles-en-Madrid.com GreatBarcelonaHotels.com Hoteles-Barcelona.eu GreatSevilleHotels.com Hoteles-en-Sevilla.com GreatSpainHotels.com Avila Hotels Burgos Hotels Chipiona Hotels Cuenca Hotels Granada Hotels Huesca Hotels Jerez Hotels Oviedo Hotels Pamplona Hotels Ronda Hotels San Sebastian Hotels Santander Hotels Santiago De Compostela Hotels Segovia Hotels Valladolid Hotels Vitoria Hotels Zaragoza Hotels Spain Hostels Hostales BarcelonaMan.com BilbaoMan.com CadizMan.com CordobaMan.com GranadaMan.com MadridMan.com SantanderMan.com SantiagoMan.com SegoviaMan.com SevilleMan.com ToledoMan.com ValenciaMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Paseo del Prado El Faro de Moncloa Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments