MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94361 - 11/16/15 02:11 PM Share Christmas Memories of Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I know a huge number of MMers have spent more than a few holiday seasons in Spain. For the benefit of visitors who have never experienced the magic of Spain during Christmas/New Years and to talk story - share your favorite places and memories.

#94366 - 11/17/15 10:27 AM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
My preferred destination for Christmas is Lanzarote island and a seaside stroll in New year.

#94367 - 11/17/15 10:49 AM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: jazz]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
By the way, this is the place.

#94368 - 11/17/15 11:20 AM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

There's something magical and sacred about an island. You've definitely made Lanzarote a must go spot for me, Jazz. It is beautiful!

#94369 - 11/17/15 11:40 AM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
Crisco Offline

I remember my first New Years Eve in Puerta Del Sol, Madrid-I had no clue what was going on with the grapes!I almost choked trying to keep up with the chimes because of laughing and spitting out the seeds!

#94381 - 11/19/15 02:47 AM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Fond memories from Fuengirola at Christmas time... the warm winter days, the deep blue sky at twilight, the smell of log fires and the simplicity of the Christmas lights.
RR

Edited by robbieroy (11/19/15 02:48 AM)

#94385 - 11/19/15 05:27 PM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Well I arrived for the first time to Madrid on December 30th 1970. Just snowing and ready for New Year 71 was magical for a boy of 11.
Madrid stuck then and it has never let go so far....From Madrid to heaven and a hole in the sky to look down on it everyday.....

I was Lucky enough to spent my first Christmas there in 1971,then 1972,1973,and 1974 before continuing my life's journey to New Jersey USA!

I still visit and I tell my wife if going to Spain need to pass by Madrid or I have not been to Spain :::) YES

#94386 - 11/19/15 05:28 PM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

By the way Jazz, great video of Lanzarote. My grandparents are from Tenerife , that is why I am Spanish too ::) 100% guanche lol!

#94391 - 11/20/15 02:20 PM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Since most of us seem to be commenting from an adult perspective reading Pedmar's memories as an 11 yo is fun. We all know Madrid's magical for us as adults (chronologically at least) but just imagine how much more so it would be it a kid.

Any special things stand out from way back when, Pedmar?

#94399 - 11/21/15 12:09 PM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Puna the same gaity friendly cozy ambiance you guys see now was the same and more back then.
I used to go to the SEPU supermarket near me (now gone the chain) and was help count the pesetas to buy the first liter of milk home. Little things like that stand out on a kid and now the adult still reminicent of them.

For treachery we used to climb the monument to Cervantes in Plaza de España looking at the civil guard police, or sneaking an extra roar on the boats at Retiro, back then they had oars and pedal boats.

My first look at Christmas at Galerias Preciados now part of El Corte Inglés like the main Anchor store they have in well Preciados st ::)

Thanks for bringing these up !!!

#94405 - 11/22/15 08:46 AM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
Rob
I also have fond memories of Fuengirola and Málaga at Christmas. Eating the grapes in front of the church on New Year's Eve. The Three Kings Parade in Málaga. Eating the Roscón de Reyes with the surprise inside. The weather along the coast was always very nice at the end of the year.

#94407 - 11/22/15 10:02 AM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

OK MM - your turn! What's your favorite memory of the Christmas season in Madrid?

#94408 - 11/22/15 01:01 PM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
Crisco Offline

MM has written us off and as he stated, that's progress................hope he is busy giving tours!

#94423 - 11/27/15 06:00 PM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Originally Posted By Crisco
MM has written us off and as he stated, that's progress................hope he is busy giving tours!

Did I say I've written you off???? I don't recall that. I wish I was busier giving tours, but unfortunately not.

My Christmas memories of Spain are humble and simple with a small nativity scene and packages surrounding it. Last year we got a chest-high artificial tree and wrapped lights around the balcony railing. The best part of Christmas in Spain is having family and friends nearby.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#94426 - 11/28/15 02:29 PM Re: Share Christmas Memories of Spain [Re: Puna]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Coming to MM's defense here; Crisco, it takes everyone commenting to make a forum work. When users stop commenting, the host - in this case our own MM - can't carry on conversations in a vacuum.

I think you were the member who made the initial effort to revitalize MM a few weeks ago. Kudos and Ole! for having made that effort. Others got on-board with your plan. Now we just have to spread the that MM is still active.

This is a 7723 registered member board - that's a huge number that many forums would die to have. Sure, not all of the 7723 are still active ... but I'll bet you anything a bunch of them pop in from time to time. Arturo is a good example. smile

So lets start asking questions and posting threads that shyer people will comment in. Its as much up to us as anything ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments