Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#94308 - 10/14/15 04:57 PM Portugal advice please
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Hi all,

Multi part question about travel in Portugal please...

#1 - I am wondering if anyone can comment on dining 'style' in Portugal. Here's why - my aunt and I were just in Seville and Madrid for a quick 1 week trip (she had never been). We ate only tapas the entire trip! Never sat down at an actual restaurant table. SHE LOVED IT! Will I be able to do the same thing with petiscos in Portugal when we do a whirlwind trip in February 2016?

#2 - Any advice on self-driving vs. taking the train to Porto? Safe roads? Safe drivers? I have to fly in and out of Lisbon, but also want to see Sintra, Fatima and Porto.

#3 - Hotel and restaurant advice is always welcome!
Thanks all,
Jen

#94310 - 10/15/15 04:04 PM Re: Portugal advice please [Re: La Sorpresa]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes of course, on the bars , restaurants you sit down ,not so much the tapa tradition as in Spain.

very safe roads is what I do from Lisbon to Porto every year at least once. There is the A1 and the alternative free road that runs parallel to it. Driving there is fine, just on the autoestradas you need to pay tolls.

plenty of choices in the porto area I stay in Palacio de liria and in lisbon in several hôtels such as Marriott, Altis, Sheraton Blu, NH etc. all good.

for roads read this in Portuguese but just put origem and destino for your towns
http://www.estradas.pt/index
full info on driving in Portugal

cheers
ps I am going next week to Cadiz so wont be around here ::)

#94312 - 10/15/15 09:52 PM Re: Portugal advice please [Re: La Sorpresa]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
A great bar food in Portugal is "Bifana" little grilled meat sandwiches on a roll topped with piri-piri, a hot oil sauce. Bifana no pao made with pork is my favorite. Available cheap in most bars.

Follow it with a glass of ginginha com, cherry liquor with the fruit in the bottom. You will see small Ginginha shops all over.

Matt

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
embar31, guijuenongxiang
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments