Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#9416 - 11/19/08 05:48 PM Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
aussieflyer Offline

Loc: Australian
I really do need advice please. I am visiting Madrid for the first time in April / May 2009. I have 9 days for Madrid.

I am a 60 + year young Australian. With a spinal condition, which is limiting. I need to plan each day well.
It is therefore most important to me, that I select a hotel that is very well located, and is in the thick of the tourist precinct.
Easy walking to Restaurants – Tapas etc. As well as shopping and transport.
I know this sounds odd, however when I visit Museums and Galleries, I view these as purpose visits,
so I devote dedicated time for each of these. I can rail, bus or taxi to each of these.
It seems from researching many manyu pages posted on this excellent site, that I should be selecting a hotel in the
Grand Via / Puerto del Sol areas.
I would appreciate advice and opinions on this location, location, and location.
Advise also on specific hotels within these areas would also be most welcome

#9417 - 11/19/08 06:29 PM Re: Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Aussieflyer ...Just to make sure that we can give you some good advice : Do you have to rely on a wheelchair or can you move independently ? ( re - your spinal condition ) .

Steve

#9418 - 11/19/08 10:51 PM Re: Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

aussieflyer, you may want to look at this earlier thread about accessibility for people who have limited mobility. As far as location, yes, I would say that Gran Via and Puerta del Sol would be your best bets for location. And, you would probably want to choose a more modern hotel that would have amenities that are suitable for people who have medical conditions. Perhaps some other board members would be able to give some specific suggestions about hotels.

#9419 - 11/20/08 05:57 AM Re: Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Aussieflyer and I spoke privately .. but this was my reply ( for the benefit of other board members in a similar situation ) :
Puerta del Sol is the absolute centre of Madrid . Ground zero for the whole of Spain , and it's from where , officially , all distances are measured in thw whole of Spain ! When I first came to Madrid I stayed a total of about 8 weeks living here . In Puerta del Sol itself there are mainly only hostales ( very basic 1 or 2 star style hotels ) .
Having worked as a trader in London's financial markets I got to stay in some very glitzy hotels , but I made a decision to stay in hostales this time . They weren't bad ! But some are very old and don't have elevators .
The 4 and 5 star hotels will be in streets off of Puerta del Sol ( All VERY central ) . Puerta del Sol is noisy and full of life , but also they have some building work going on there at the moment ( A new metro line ) .
Gran Via is Madrid's main street ... full of shops and eating places... Not my favourite street , but very dear in the hearts of the Madrid natives .
Plaza Mayor is the main square and very central .
One other area is Chueca ... equivalent to London's Soho . It is the centre of Madrid's gay community and has a very quirky and lively nightlife .
Finally , there is Plaza Santa Ana , with it's beautiful hotel ( Reina Victoria ) .
All these places are within a 1 mile ( or less ) square of the absolute centre of Madrid .
Take a look at www.hthoteles.com they have a few very central locations and look very smart ... No idea of the cost though .
There are some very good hotels also , such as The Ritz , but remember that European cities are expensive .

Don't hesitate to contact me again if you need other information .

#9420 - 11/22/08 02:33 AM Re: Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
aussieflyer Offline

Greetings all, I would appreciate comments for or against the hotels listed below. They are all categorised as 4 * however the range of services offerred varies greatly. I welcome your opinions please. Cheers Aussieflyer

Emperador Hotel Madrid : Gran Via
Senator Gran Via Hotel : Gran Via
Hotel Gaudi : Gran Via
Hotel Vincci Via – 66 : C/ Gran Via
Hotel Vincci Capitol : Gran Via
Hotel Petit Posada Del Peine : Plaza Mayor
Hotel H 10 Villa de la Reina : Gran Via
Hotel Preciados : Sol
Hotel Maria Elena Palace : Sol

#9421 - 11/22/08 04:48 AM Re: Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've not stayed at any of the above so I can't give you a firsthand review or recommendation.

I can tell you that the Hotel Petit Posada Del Peine (Plaza Mayor) and Hotel Preciados (Sol) would be a couple of good, very well-located hotels in the true heart-of-it-all.

The Hotel Posada del Peine has a beautiful façade, very recently renovated building inside and out. Inside it's extremely modern and quaint (small). Lots of tourists walking about these all-pedestrian streets next to the Plaza Mayor.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9422 - 11/26/08 03:37 AM Re: Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
aussieflyer Offline

Thank you MadridMan.

#9423 - 11/26/08 04:15 AM Re: Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
No problem. Hope to see you when you get here!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9424 - 11/26/08 10:12 PM Re: Centrally located hotel in Madrid please
aussieflyer Offline

Many thanks to MadridMan, Steve Robinson and La historiadoria for the advice given on hotels. Your combined input has been greatly appreciated. I think the Hotel Emperador on Gran Via will be my choice.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments