Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94091 - 06/17/15 02:34 PM Caminito del Rey
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
I am just back from having spent the month of May in Málaga. A highlight of the trip was walking El Caminito del Rey. This walkway is along the walls of El Chorro Gorge between Álora and Ardales. It originally opened in 1905 and King Alfonso XIII walked the trail. The path deteriorated and had to be closed in 2000 after two recent deaths. The path has been restored and it reopened at the end of March.

We took a bus tour and walked the path from Álora to Ardales. You can walk in either direction. The total distance is 7.7 km. The boardwalk section crossing the gorge is 2.9 km long. It took our group about four hours to complete. There is a shuttle bus between the starting points if you drive there on your own.

It was a great afternoon.

For more information:

www.caminitodelrey.info

Edited by MadridMan (06/18/15 04:42 AM)
Edit Reason: to embed first-person video of the walk.

#94093 - 06/18/15 04:50 AM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow! What a difference! The "New" and newly opened-to-the-public "Caminito del Rey" looks totally SAFE now. In the video I embedded above, you can still see the former, crumbling path below the newly installed one. The videos of the former, original path gave me goosebumps, but the new one looks totally doable.

FASCINATING! Check out the video below of the "USE, DETERIORATION, and the RESTAURATION of the Caminito del Rey".

Now take a look at the former, crumbling path (video) below of the still used even after its official closing:

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#94094 - 06/18/15 11:03 AM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I saw an article on TV about last week on TVE, they show the walk. Nice indeed and good they have renovated for future generations

#94109 - 06/22/15 01:39 PM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
If I'm not mistaken, Alan (Anchovy is his user name as I recall)also is doing or recently did the new trail. It would be interesting to see what he has to say about it.

#94138 - 07/04/15 09:16 AM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
Arturo Offline

#94139 - 07/04/15 09:26 AM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Thanks for the article, Arturo.

#94140 - 07/05/15 03:04 AM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Thanks for posting. This is something that I would love tosee and do but, err, how can I say this?... I hate heights :-(
RR

#94452 - 12/09/15 09:42 AM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
Arturo Offline

CAMINITO DEL REY, CAMINO DEL REY, NEWS
FROM APRIL 2016 WALKING THE CAMINITO DEL REY WILL HAVE A CHARGE BETWEEN 7 AND 10 EUROS

From April 2016 walking the Caminito del Rey will have a charge between 7 and 10 euros. The final price has not been decided yet, nor the company that will eventually take over the running of the walkway. It has been decided that the “business” of the Caminito del Rey will be put out to tender and presumably this process has already been started by the council of Malaga. The councils of Alora and Ardales are in agreement to this but the opposition parties PSOE, IU Ciudadanos and Malaga Ahora abstained in the vote at the meeting presumably because they disagree with this desicion.

#94453 - 12/09/15 11:01 AM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Waiting!! confused

#94454 - 12/09/15 05:12 PM Re: Caminito del Rey [Re: Arturo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That'd be cool. If they charged a fee and it was safe, many more people would do it - but a different type of person, though.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments