Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#94081 - 06/14/15 04:29 PM Neighbourhood of Carabanchel...Madrid
Di Kitchy Offline

Loc: Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK
A little bit worried as I have booked a very nice apartment for a short trip in August. I think I should have asked opinions before booking as I have been told that this is a very poor and unsafe area..should I look at cancelling?

Edited by Di Kitchy (06/14/15 04:30 PM)

#94082 - 06/15/15 12:52 AM Re: Neighbourhood of Carabanchel...Madrid [Re: Di Kitchy]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi, Di! Carabanchel is not an unsafe area, but it is a working class area on the other side of the river and very mixed ethnically. The area is quite large, in fact, and very extensive. I'm guessing you'd be staying near the river which is the best part of Carabanchel. It's also not close to the old downtown. You'd have to go to Puerta del Sol, for example, by metro or bus.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#94085 - 06/15/15 02:08 PM Re: Neighbourhood of Carabanchel...Madrid [Re: Di Kitchy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Carabanchel has always been a working class area and on the previous life of Spain had a bad prison there. As above you should be ok, just a bit away from the sights.
hope it helps

#94088 - 06/16/15 10:11 PM Re: Neighbourhood of Carabanchel...Madrid [Re: Di Kitchy]
chivasusa Offline

Madrid doesn't really have bad districts does it MM? Perhaps Lavapies at 2am. A friend was leading me thru there in the early am and asked me if I was carrying much money. Another friend told me he lives in Villaverde el barrio peor in Madrid, but I have strolled around there late many nights with him and felt safe. He knew some of the Morracans lurking there. A waiter I know [Paco] from Casa Ciricao lives in Villaverde and was mugged late one night near the metro. Would be interested in other opinions on good and bad districts and where to stay within striking district of the center, perhaps to save money. I prefer to stay near Plaza Mayor where the action is or with my friend in Villaverde. [free]

#94090 - 06/17/15 04:01 AM Re: Neighbourhood of Carabanchel...Madrid [Re: chivasusa]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Originally Posted By chivasusa
Madrid doesn't really have bad districts does it MM? Perhaps Lavapies at 2am. A friend was leading me thru there in the early am and asked me if I was carrying much money. Another friend told me he lives in Villaverde el barrio peor in Madrid, but I have strolled around there late many nights with him and felt safe.

Even Lavapies has amazing nightlife, particularly on the weekends. Maybe I'd feel less safe there late on a weeknight. But yes, there are no real UNsafe areas of downtown Madrid. Villaverde is far outside the center and I wouldn't call it anything other than another working-class, ethnically mixed neighborhood of Madrid - of which there are many.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#94097 - 06/19/15 08:40 AM Re: Neighbourhood of Carabanchel...Madrid [Re: Di Kitchy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Of course, typical of many European cities, the more away from the center the worse in quality of life.

Even over period some areas gets worse and others gets better. Working class that is, not that there are heavy crimes especially nothing to do with tourists.

Cheers

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
JUAN CARLOS66, kendra3713
Who's Online
0 registered (), 201 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments