MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#93779 - 01/27/15 07:29 AM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: Rob in Madrid]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Interesting El País Article (in English) about the Valley of the Fallen, the hillside resting place of Spanish dictators Primo de Rivera and General Franco near El Escorial.

It was closed in 2009 when an arm from one of the sculpted figures around the portal fell off, narrowly missing a visitor.

The site was reopened in 2012 and apparently is still in much need of rehabilitation and lacking more in visitors/popularity. The cable car (which I took up with friends years ago) is out of service and so the only way up is now by car or tour bus.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#93790 - 01/29/15 02:16 PM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes pitty as it a burial place on both sides really. The symbol is still attach to the old regime so I am afraid it will fall on more decay.
See it while you can. Of course still gets quite a number of visitors...

#93797 - 01/30/15 03:55 PM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: pedmar]
chivasusa Offline

When you go to the Escorial its always the best time to visit. I was in Spain one year on November 20 but friends advised against visiting on this pivotal date. I'm glad I didn't try to go recently because I didn't know it was closed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments