MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93793 - 01/29/15 04:28 PM Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I'm sure this has been covered before, but please bear with me. I'm going to Spain in April for the last time. There are other places for me to visit in this world, and at my age, the chance of returning to Spain is pretty remote. The past several times have been with student groups, and I haven't had to deal with transportation. When I look now at how one might purchase tickets in the US for use in Spain, I get so frustrated I could scream. I don't know if it is worth it to get a gold pass for seniors, just get a 5 day pass, buy the tickets without a pass, or wait and buy them in Spain. We will be going from Madrid to Toledo as a day trip, then from Madrid to Sevilla, from Algeciras to Ronda, from Ronda to Cordoba, and Cordoba to Madrid. Our other side trips to Segovia and from Sevilla to Tarifa, and Tarifa to Algeciras are supposedly all best (or only) done by bus. I filled out one Renfe questionnaire and it suggested I get the 5 day travel in a month pass. Then I tried their other specific itinerary questionnaire, but didn't check that I had a pass. The difference is about $40. There was no option to go back and try the specific itinerary WITH a pass.
AND THEN I saw information on getting various tourist cards with a pass, but there is no clear information on how one goes about doing that. Do I flash my pass in each city and get one that way?
I don't know if they can mail me the tickets without a killer charge either.
The last time I did this, I think I paid extra to get the single ticket I needed for one Italian train. Doing 5 bookings is making my hair turn even greyer than it is.
So, does anyone know what the best/cheapest/easiest way to book this many trips would be?

#93794 - 01/30/15 09:21 AM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: la maestra]
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

I think I've solved my own problem. After checking with other forums and calculating the fares shown on the Renfe site, I think just point-to-point is the best option. I managed to do this back when I studied in Spain in 1966, and it served me well then.
Thanks for being there to hear me rant, though!

#93796 - 01/30/15 03:45 PM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: la maestra]
chivasusa Offline

If you take AVE [recommended] which is the high speed train there is usually an extra charge aside from the pass. In Madrid you can go to a station when you arrive to purchase in advance. Don't wait for the same day Toledo sells out. So buy round trips in advance at the station. They have a good information office at Atocha where they will print out options for your trips, English is sometimes spoken there. Atocha is easy to get to it's a stone's throw from Prado. I usually take the train to Segovia although buses may save money. By the way I think Prado is free after 5 or 6 pm. Sometimes but not always you can get senior discounts by asking. So discount passes are not a great idea.

#93798 - 01/31/15 11:10 AM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: chivasusa]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: la maestra
I'm going to Spain in April for the last time. There are other places for me to visit in this world, and at my age, the chance of returning to Spain is pretty remote.

Hi la maesta
your post filled me with mixed emotions - frown a bit of sadness about what you say regarding this possible being your final trip to Spain and also grin pleased to see your great itinerary!
I hope your trip goes well in April and that you can find the time to repost back on it to us.
RR

#93809 - 02/05/15 10:36 PM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: robbieroy]
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

#93811 - 02/06/15 10:28 AM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: la maestra]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I have booked a coupe of AVE train trips in the past using the REFE site and can't remember it being too much of a problem but I did not have any cards such as Dorada to make use of.
One trip was a Barcelona to Zaragoza return trip and the other was a Malaga to Madrid one way trip. Both went smoothly.

Regarding the bus system, there had been big improvement in the services, especially between main cities with increased timetables and modern vehicles. It might be worth further exploring this as a partial option.
Please keep up updated with your plans.
RR

#93812 - 02/06/15 11:46 AM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: robbieroy]
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

robbieroy, I'm looking at the Socibus site now, trying to get a handle on their timetable. There is a link to the timetable that goes nowhere! That's the kind of thing that makes me crazy! If I can't tell what time they leave, where they take you in Madrid, and how long the trip takes, there's no way I can plan on taking a bus! At least Renfe gives me that information!

#93813 - 02/06/15 04:20 PM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: la maestra]
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

#93814 - 02/06/15 07:57 PM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: la maestra]
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Okay....brick wall. How often are there trains from Algeciras to Ronda? I know I have to take a Comes bus from Tarifa to Algeciras, but once I am in Algeciras, am I limited to the one train in the morning? Is there an easier way that I'm missing? I see that if I take the M-150 at 6:30 AM, I'd get to Algeciras at 7:15. The Renfe site says the train leaves at 6:15AM! The next one they list leaves at 8:48 AM ( doable), but they don't show prices, so I can't buy the ticket. Anyone?

#93815 - 02/07/15 10:58 AM Re: Train passes, Dorado,...how to buy train tickets [Re: la maestra]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Hi la maestra
I did a quck check on the trains using the RENFE site. I did random dates for a return journeys and got 6 outward trips on one day and 6 return trips on one day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
embar31, guijuenongxiang
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments