Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93625 - 10/20/14 05:52 PM Iberia Airlines Does It Again!
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I just hung up the phone after spending 30 minutes on hold trying to get a seat assignment for my flight to Madrid in two weeks. I was informed that it would cost $40 EACH WAY for a pre-assigned seat. Not a premium seat, not coach plus but a regular coach seat. $80 extra for a round trip ticket! No warning during the ticketing process. To be forewarned is to be forearmed!

#93627 - 10/21/14 03:15 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Mongo]
Crisco Offline

I too was annoyed w/this policy but Iberia partners w/British Air and they have the same rule-seat assignment on check in.Get to the airport a little earlier and you'll get to choose a seat w/out paying the fee.

#93628 - 10/21/14 06:49 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Crisco]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Thumbs up on arriving even earlier than planned to avoid the extra $40 each way! Crisco, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think British Air has had that surcharge for a while now.

#93630 - 10/21/14 07:35 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Puna]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the advice. I am starting from Minneapolis where I check in with American Airlines. I don't hook up with Iberia until Chicago. Not sure when the seat is assigned, I already was able get seats on AA. My biggest gripe is it was not disclosed when I purchased on AA.com and it would have had a big influence on my decision!

#93631 - 10/21/14 08:07 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Mongo]
Crisco Offline

I wonder how American is going to handle this connection.They code share w/Iberia and British Airways.I talked w/a friend and she remembers reserving a seat on Iberia but 24 hrs before the flight.I would call Iberia and see if you get a straight answer.
I don't use Iberia or British any longer-my luggage was lost twice through my connection via London to Madrid.I was bumped by Iberia on my flight home from Madrid -until I stood my ground,put up quite a stink.I finally was offered to get home via New York on Iberia's business class-quite nice and I got double miles-their loss/my gain but never again!
Buena suerte!

#93632 - 10/22/14 01:01 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
i am a frequent flyer so don't pay for seat changes but if not you do.

#93633 - 10/22/14 01:42 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

????????????????
Mongo is referring to seat assignment not seat change!

#93634 - 10/22/14 02:09 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You mean while you were booking your flight online there was no page to assign seats on the second leg of your flight, the Iberia flight, before the final booking? That's pretty bad, I'd say.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#93635 - 10/22/14 02:36 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

It's been an ongoing battle w/code shares for some years.It doesn't make much sense and it is never explained! You find out after you have paid and then try to assign your seats for the entire trip.
If you google code share w/ American and Iberia or British airways, you'll see how frustrated people are.You'd think in this age of technology this would be so easy to fix.

#93639 - 10/22/14 07:28 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Crisco]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

No MadridMan, no mention. I have dealt with Air France and KLM many times and usually a phone call would get me a seat with no charge. This is a new twist!

#93640 - 10/23/14 04:27 AM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Mongo]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Iberia does change seats and you can choose if less than 30 hours before. Upon ticket purchasing they do assign a seat for you. I am frequent flyer with them as well. going with them to Brazil next week; I am on the go always.

AF of which I am a gold elite member, will change my seats before 30 hrs for free. Domestic and international they pre assign seats as well. Just came back from Prague with them yesterday.

#93642 - 10/23/14 11:06 AM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

The Spanish Iberia, a member of oneworld and owned by the parent company of British Airways, has introduced new seat selection fees that would make the chintziest of low cost carriers blush.

Now, British Airways is no slouch in the advance seat selection fee arena. BA charges even business class passengers who are neither elites nor traveling on a flexible ticket to select their seats prior to online check-in. An upcharge for business class passengers to choose their seats!

And many low cost carriers charge to choose an economy seat in advance. If you’re flying Spirit Air or Allegiant, and you want to pick you seat from the seatmap before check-in, it’s going to cost you. Of course, since it costs everyone else too and folks flying those carriers tend to be price sensitive many people do not book seats in advance, the seat map tends to be fairly open, and folks are able to do a decent job with seats at the airport at no cost.

But Iberia has taken it a step further — economy passengers are going to have to pay for seat assignments even at check-in if they want to express any preference at all. And that means, since Iberia won’t inherently be cheaper than alternative carriers, that it will be an airline to be avoided for those who aren’t exempt from the fees.

Iberia is in trouble. Spain is too of course. The airline has had union trouble and has hemorraged cash. It’s even cost parent company CEO Willie Walsh his bonus. So it’s not surprising that they’re looking at fees to generate revenue. The key here is that many customers booking Iberia tickets may not be aware of the policy. Certainly many booking through online travel agencies will be surprised.

So shout it from the rooftops, your friends without elite status buying coach fares might want to consider other airlines if price is otherwise the same.

How Much Are the Fees?

Iberia has a helpful table. Here’s the cost for a seat assignment, if your fare or status doesn’t exempt you from paying. I’ve highlighted the cost of an economy seat assignment.

It’s $40 in advance, $50 at on-line check-in, and $55 at the airport. The longer you wait to buy your seat assignment, the more expensive it gets.

Remember that this is the pricing in each direction, so advance seat assgnments for transatlantic coach flights on Iberia will run $80.

This isn’t charging for ‘premium seating’ like extra legroom. There are still some seats that are more expensive than this like exit row seat with additional legroom. This is charging for any seat assignment in advance at all.

What Happens If You Don’t Pay for a Seat Assignment?

With US low cost carriers, at the airport you can pretty much have whatever seat you wish that’s left over most of the time.

With Iberia, you’re going to get something assigned “at random” which I read to mean you’re going to get a middle seat in the back — even if something better is available.

If you don’t have any preferences and you haven’t chosen a seat prior to check-in, you will be assigned one for free and at random when you get your boarding pass.

Iberia wants to keep selling seat assignments, not just in advance and at check-in but even at the airport right before departure. So they need to incentivize you to pay. Waiting to assign a seat means you pay more if you want to pick your seats, and winding up with an inferior seat if you won’t pay.

Who Doesn’t Have to Pay for an Advance Seat Assignment?

Business class passengers get free advance seat assignments. In this way, since it applies to everyone flying business class, they’re actually more generous than British Airways.

The most expensive economy tickets come with free seat assignments in coach (exit rows are an upcharge). Frequent flyer award tickets come with free seat assignments as well.

oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elite members are also exempt from the fee — so an American Airlines Platinum and Executive Platinum should not be charged (though an American Gold member would b

#93643 - 10/23/14 08:20 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Crisco]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know someone else thinks it is fishy. Due to the fact that it occurred after the purchase it feels suspiciously like "bait and switch". I think I will write a letter to the FAA while I have time to kill on my Iberia flight! (Irony intended!)

#93644 - 10/23/14 08:31 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Mongo]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
smile

#93645 - 10/24/14 03:29 AM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Puna]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Apart from the low-cost flyers like Easyjet and Ryanair, I'd never heard of seat-selection fees at the point of booking. That 80Euro difference in total price just might make the difference in one carrier versus another. Hope I don't get hit with such a thing when I fly back to the USA next time in USAir.

I can't tell when it was written, but just found a graph/grid showing the airlines' name and what they charge for seat-selections @ http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/4564745/chart-what-it-costs-to-select-your-seat-location/ . Mongo, it seems British Airways is the ONLY (big) airline which charges for seat-selection .... SO FAR. None of the big American carriers charge. Again, so far.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#93646 - 10/24/14 06:56 AM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
When we flew to Spain last summer, I booked through Orbitz and flew Iberia via British Airways. (I'm not sure how that worked, but when I had a problem with my ticket, I had to call British Airways) Anyway, we were told that we couldn't choose our seats. I thought it was because we had used a third party carrier, but perhaps it had to do with all this that you are discussing. I will consider another airline when I travel again. It's nice to be able to choose a seat prior to the flight. Thanks for sharing.

#93647 - 10/24/14 10:41 AM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: teachertraveler8]
Crisco Offline

MadridMan, Iberia does indeed charge like British Airways.Here's the link directly from their website:
http://www.iberia.com/us/seat-reservation/

Like British Airways, they are nickel/diming passengers to/from the States!!!!Not nice but their answer is it's free 24 hrs before the flight so take your chances and of course you know these left over seats will be *****
I don't understand how they get away with this especially when they code share w/American and USAirways.From what I have read it appears these charges for reserving your seat only apply to flights from the States-even worse!

#93648 - 10/26/14 04:03 AM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

As I was saying, just got my Iberia boarding pass for my next trip to Brazil tomorrow.

I was notify of the availability of choosing my seats (they had pre assign them), and just went in and chose the ones I like aisle seats at no charge.

Happy travels ::)

#93649 - 10/26/14 12:27 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

pedmar you are a member of Iberia frequent flyer and that's why you are not charged and allowed to get an assigned seat.What is it you don't understand?????????

pedmar you are flying from Spain to Brazil.People flying from the States to Spain are not allowed to choose seats UNLESS they pay extra.They can get a seat assignment for free 24 hrs before departure or at the check in at the airport.

Edited by MadridMan (10/26/14 02:47 PM)
Edit Reason: to combine two consecutive posts.

#93651 - 10/26/14 02:04 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Crisco, please don't confuse the matter, I already told all from my first entry I am a frequent flyer with Iberia and Air France.

As to why you are charge, of course that is the intention of my first ENTRY; if you are not, you play by different rules and that is normal too, that is whay there are frequent flyer awards programs;you are treated differently.

Second,I fly to the States and is the same rules. The issue is if you are frequent flyer you get perks and if you are not you pay for them.

So choose a frequent flyer program is free lol!!

#93652 - 10/26/14 02:50 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

pis the one confused but as usual, wants to have the last word lol! Enjoy it's all yours!

#93653 - 10/26/14 02:52 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Now, now, boys. Let's keep calm heads. The extra charge, whenever they charge it, is frustrating. I think we can all agree with that.

Saludos, MadridMan

#93654 - 11/01/14 06:27 AM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

back again on Iberia ,no problems at all, change seats for free, 30 hrs ahead of flight. I you want the same benefits join the frequent flyer program its free.

Now all Airlines are differentiating their offering to attract regular clientele, for several years now.

#93655 - 11/01/14 06:59 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: pedmar]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

"Oh bother!", said Pooh... rolleyes

#94429 - 11/28/15 08:58 PM Re: Iberia Airlines Does It Again! [Re: Mongo]
ophelie251 Offline

Thanks for the advice. useful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments