Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93573 - 09/25/14 08:32 AM Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do....
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Hi all! Looking forward to my 13th (!!!) visit to Spain in a few months (will be late NOV/early DEC.) I'm hoping for some suggestions on some different things to see and do. I've never been to El Escorial so that is one thing I will do this time. As for day trips, I've already been to Alcala de Henares, Toledo, Segovia, Avila, Cuenca (some many many times). And as for museums, parks, etc in the city I've done all of the major tourist things and will revisit many... just looking for some ideas that may not be so well known. You know - somewhere Rick Steves has never been. Thank you all in advance for any ideas!

Oh, and I'm travelling with my dad, his GF and my Aunt so just no roller coasters please.... smirk
2 have never been before so we will hit some of my fav's - and my Spanish is the equivalent of a 6 year old but that doesn't stop me!

Oh I forgot blush - we will be taking the train to Seville for a few days as the whole purpose of the trip is to visit my cousin from Boston College studying there as an exchange student for the semester...

Edited by MadridMan (09/25/14 03:03 PM)
Edit Reason: to join two consecutive postings.

#93575 - 09/25/14 12:43 PM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: La Sorpresa]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
This past summer, I went to the village of Siguenza, about an hour or so outside of Madrid. It was charming, peaceful and picturesque. There are many nice little villages with a lot of charm. I also went to Campillo de Ranas and Torija. Enjoy your trip and write an update when you return.

#93577 - 09/25/14 03:24 PM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
teachertraveler8's suggestion of Sigüenza is a good one. Very nice village.

Aranjuez Palace, gardens, and fountains is like a not-so-mini version of France's Versailles and is another MUST see and relatively close to Madrid.

Nearby Manzanares El Real is another idea. They have a wonderful castle there which shouldn't be missed.

Buitrago del Lozoya (and its castle), north of Madrid just off the highway, is a very nice village as well.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#93578 - 09/25/14 03:33 PM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: teachertraveler8]
chivasusa Offline

I assume you are taking the AVE between Madrid and Sevilla. Cordoba is a possible stop on that line. Coming or going or even as a day trip out of Sevilla, spend 4 hours in Cordoba. Take a taxi from the train station to LA MESQUITA. This is one of the most important monuments in Spain. Its easy to do it by taxi. If there is time spending a night in Cordoba is worth doing. The first time I went by taxi on a day trip from Sevilla. Another tim I spent the night near the Mosque.

#93582 - 09/25/14 03:44 PM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: chivasusa]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
La Sorpresa, def. include Cordoba in your itinerary. It's absolutely lovely as well as historically significant. Sevilla and Madrid are big cities as you know and considering the fact that you've got your grandfather and aunt with you they might appreciate a smaller city for a night or two.

#93585 - 09/25/14 04:39 PM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: Puna]
La Sorpresa Offline

Thank you all for your replies! Yes, I'm taking the AVE to Seville, and I've been to Cordoba before also. It's lovely! I have rented many cars and I've crossed your wonderful country back and forth. This trip will be mainly concentrated in Madrid (and Seville) so I am greatful for your suggestions of day trips to Siguenza, Aranjuez Palace, Manzanares El Real, and Buitrago del Lozoya.

Can anyone think of any museums or art exhibits in Madrid city that are a little less well known?

#93586 - 09/25/14 05:03 PM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: La Sorpresa]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I loved the Joaquin Sorrolla museum in Madrid. It is located in the artists' former home, so there is a feel for his family life as well as his work.

#93587 - 09/25/14 06:10 PM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: teachertraveler8]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Jumping up and down in agreement w/ TeacherTraveler on the Joaquin Sorrolla museum.

#93589 - 09/26/14 05:24 AM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you should see the El Escorial and Aranjuez too. Then go into the mountains to Buitrago del Lozoya in the Navacerrada mountains, still not too many there as the season starts later on.
Chinchon and its great anisette or anis del mono.

so many to see around madrid with the car you are king. I like Talavera de la Reina, great memories there and the center of ceramic tiles in Spain ,and wonderful places see them here
http://www.talavera.org/index2.cfm?codigo=0100

then for Madrid, the Sorolla museum is a good suggestion, they have an exhibit in NYC at the moment at the Hispanic Society of America.

farther up north you can see Medicinali of the great medicis family, and Calatayud famous in songs of the old princes.

again you got me going its a world around Madrid, enjoy it

#93594 - 09/26/14 11:02 AM Re: Madrid: new (different?) ideas on things to do.... [Re: pedmar]
La Sorpresa Offline

OH wow - thank you all! My 2+ week trip just got shortened to 8 days so I have to pack in as much as I can as fast as I can now! This list will come in handy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments